Re: [SACC-L] Fw: Re: American Thinker/Teaching Point

  • mep1mep
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 3:31 PM
      It seems that the instrument that caused the issue--the rapid dissemination of
      misinformation--also, solved the issue--corrections and clarifications were
      issued.  As long as there is transparency, I am not sure that the blogosphere is
      the problem.  The willful misrepresentation of knowledge seems likely to be with
      us for as long as we remain in our currently evolved state.  But perhaps I am
      misunderstanding something here.
      Pam

      ________________________________
      From: Geoffrey Hunt <huntgisa@...>
      Subject: Re: American Thinker
      To: "George Thomas" <broruprecht@...>
      Date: Friday, July 2, 2010, 7:13 AM

      Dear Mr. Thomas

      Thank you for your e-mail and I would wish to apologize if I sounded irritated
      in my e-mail, but this whole issue is immensely troubling.

      From what I can deduce, after Geoffrey P. Hunt wrote the piece in the American
      Thinker, someone did a cursory google search and came up with my bio-sketch from
      our Institute. They then attached the bio-sketch to the article and dispatched
      it around the web. Since then either myself or the Institute have had many many
      e-mails.

      Sincerely

      Geoffrey Hunt

      As I noted thisAt 07:09 PM 7/1/2010, you wrote:
      > Thank you. The item I received appeared to me to be bogus.  I notified the
      >sender that I would check into its legitimacy.  A Google search through three
      >pages was predictably full of current dutiful parrotings of the original
      >politically poisonous screed on blogs that can be characterized as leaning
      >heavily toward starboard.  One site said only that the author was not the same
      >individual as the one who is a senior scientist, mentioning only the agency name
      >but not the individual's profession.  There seems to be no evidence on anything
      >I found as to who chose to identify you as the writer of this piece, or whether
      >they intended to paste some gravitas onto it or to villify anthropological
      >fields.
      > I then send a request to the Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges, of
      >which I am a member, to see if anyone had any idea as to what I had found.
      >Someone in this network evidently notified you.  I will now thank that
      >as-yet-anonymous individual profusely, and forward my new-found information to
      >the individual who sent it to me.
      > This matter is of extreme interest to me.  I apologize for any problems this
      >may have caused you.
      > George Thomas

    • Kent Morris

        Thank you for your e-mail and I would wish to apologize if I sounded
        irritated
        in my e-mail, but this whole issue is immensely troubling.

        From what I can deduce, after Geoffrey P. Hunt wrote the piece in the
        American
        Thinker, someone did a cursory google search and came up with my bio-sketch
        from
        our Institute. They then attached the bio-sketch to the article and
        dispatched
        it around the web. Since then either myself or the Institute have had many
        many
        e-mails.

        Sincerely

        Geoffrey Hunt

        As I noted thisAt 07:09 PM 7/1/2010, you wrote:
        > Thank you. The item I received appeared to me to be bogus. I notified the
        >sender that I would check into its legitimacy. A Google search through
        >three
        >pages was predictably full of current dutiful parrotings of the original
        >politically poisonous screed on blogs that can be characterized as leaning
        >heavily toward starboard. One site said only that the author was not the
        >same
        >individual as the one who is a senior scientist, mentioning only the agency
        >name
        >but not the individual's profession. There seems to be no evidence on
        >anything
        >I found as to who chose to identify you as the writer of this piece, or
        >whether
        >they intended to paste some gravitas onto it or to villify anthropological
        >fields.
        > I then send a request to the Society for Anthropology in Community
        > Colleges, of
        >which I am a member, to see if anyone had any idea as to what I had found.
        >Someone in this network evidently notified you. I will now thank that
        >as-yet-anonymous individual profusely, and forward my new-found information
        >the individual who sent it to me.
        > This matter is of extreme interest to me. I apologize for any problems
        > this
        >may have caused you.
        > George Thomas

        Groups Links

        database 5247 (20100702) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5247 (20100702) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Andrew J Petto
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 6:07 PM
          If the interstate highway system were organized the way the Internet is, I could put a sign in my driveway and call it Interstate 94.

          Anj

          ------------
          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer
          Department of Biological Sciences
          University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
          PO Box 413
          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
          CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
          Telephone: 414-229-6784
          FAX: 414-229-3926

          *************
          *************

          -- Pat Conroy
          The Prince of Tides

          maybe the misinfo wouldn't have spread so fast if it weren't for our
          "advanced" means of communication...

          Thank you for your e-mail and I would wish to apologize if I sounded
          irritated in my e-mail, but this whole issue is immensely troubling.

          From what I can deduce, after Geoffrey P. Hunt wrote the piece in the
          American Thinker, someone did a cursory google search and came up with
          my bio-sketch
          from our Institute. They then attached the bio-sketch to the article and
          dispatched it around the web. Since then either myself or the Institute
          have had many
          many e-mails.

          Sincerely

          Geoffrey Hunt

          As I noted thisAt 07:09 PM 7/1/2010, you wrote:
          > Thank you. The item I received appeared to me to be bogus. I notified
          > the
          >sender that I would check into its legitimacy. A Google search through
          >three pages was predictably full of current dutiful parrotings of the
          >original politically poisonous screed on blogs that can be
          >characterized as leaning
          >heavily toward starboard. One site said only that the author was not
          >the same
          >individual as the one who is a senior scientist, mentioning only the
          >agency name
          >but not the individual's profession. There seems to be no evidence on
          >anything I found as to who chose to identify you as the writer of this
          >piece, or
          >whether they intended to paste some gravitas onto it or to villify
          >anthropological fields.
          > I then send a request to the Society for Anthropology in Community
          > Colleges, of
          >which I am a member, to see if anyone had any idea as to what I had
          >found. Someone in this network evidently notified you. I will now thank
          >that as-yet-anonymous individual profusely, and forward my new-found
          >information to
          >the individual who sent it to me.
          > This matter is of extreme interest to me. I apologize for any problems
          > this
          >may have caused you.
          > George Thomas

          Find out more at our web page : http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo !
          Groups Links

          signature
          database 5247 (20100702) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 7:06 AM
            George, I seem to remember a similar instance some time ago where someone wrote an extreme, right-wing diatribe on a topic and (allegedly) had the same name as a legitimate scientist, except for the middle initial (can't remember the name). The scientist weighed in to clarify the issue and the author turned out to be a "business executive" who contributed regularly to some right-wing publication. It wasn't clear whether the mixup was accidental or whether the author was intentionally trading on the scientist's name.
            Lloyd