Fw: Re: American Thinker/Teaching Point

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 2:38 PM
      The G. Hunt situation has blown over. I assure all SACC-L subscribers that I, too, followed up on this rather-to-be-expected blogosphere website brouhaha, and Dr. Hunt himself was all over it.  My only concern was to see if any SACC-ers knew whether or not this political diatribe was associated with some fictitious Geoffrey Hunt, and why someone would attribute such a piece to an anthropologist.  Glad to see I was right.  The article was not something I would have circulated.  And clearly the recent posts re. anthropologists' misunderstanding of the public (a mutual thing), and racism in public discourse (Des Moines) are related.
      The most accurate statement I've heard, coming from a fellow anthropologist re. this topic, and as a starting point to understanding "the public" and "the poisonous political climate," just might be: "It's all politics."
      We can ignore my question about a possible round-table discussion on blogosphere mazes in which crucial information and details get lost..... or...... not.
      George

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 3:31 PM
        It seems that the instrument that caused the issue--the rapid dissemination of
        misinformation--also, solved the issue--corrections and clarifications were
        issued.  As long as there is transparency, I am not sure that the blogosphere is
        the problem.  The willful misrepresentation of knowledge seems likely to be with
        us for as long as we remain in our currently evolved state.  But perhaps I am
        misunderstanding something here.
        Pam

        ________________________________

        Thank you for your e-mail and I would wish to apologize if I sounded irritated
        in my e-mail, but this whole issue is immensely troubling.

        From what I can deduce, after Geoffrey P. Hunt wrote the piece in the American
        Thinker, someone did a cursory google search and came up with my bio-sketch from
        our Institute. They then attached the bio-sketch to the article and dispatched
        it around the web. Since then either myself or the Institute have had many many
        e-mails.

      • Kent Morris
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 5:21 PM
          maybe the misinfo wouldn't have spread so fast if it weren't for our
          "advanced" means of communication...

          Thank you for your e-mail and I would wish to apologize if I sounded
          irritated
          in my e-mail, but this whole issue is immensely troubling.

          From what I can deduce, after Geoffrey P. Hunt wrote the piece in the
          American
          Thinker, someone did a cursory google search and came up with my bio-sketch
          from
          our Institute. They then attached the bio-sketch to the article and
          dispatched
          it around the web. Since then either myself or the Institute have had many
          many
          e-mails.

          Sincerely

          Geoffrey Hunt

          As I noted thisAt 07:09 PM 7/1/2010, you wrote:
          > Thank you. The item I received appeared to me to be bogus. I notified the
          >sender that I would check into its legitimacy. A Google search through
          >three
          >pages was predictably full of current dutiful parrotings of the original
          >politically poisonous screed on blogs that can be characterized as leaning
          >heavily toward starboard. One site said only that the author was not the
          >same
          >individual as the one who is a senior scientist, mentioning only the agency
          >name
          >but not the individual's profession. There seems to be no evidence on
          >anything
          >I found as to who chose to identify you as the writer of this piece, or
          >whether
          >they intended to paste some gravitas onto it or to villify anthropological
          >fields.
          > I then send a request to the Society for Anthropology in Community
          > Colleges, of
          >which I am a member, to see if anyone had any idea as to what I had found.
          >Someone in this network evidently notified you. I will now thank that
          >as-yet-anonymous individual profusely, and forward my new-found information
          >the individual who sent it to me.
          > This matter is of extreme interest to me. I apologize for any problems
          > this
          >may have caused you.
          > George Thomas

          Groups Links

          database 5247 (20100702) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5247 (20100702) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Andrew J Petto
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2 6:07 PM
            If the interstate highway system were organized the way the Internet is, I could put a sign in my driveway and call it Interstate 94.

            Anj

            ------------
            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer
            Department of Biological Sciences
            University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
            PO Box 413
            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
            CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
            Telephone: 414-229-6784
            FAX: 414-229-3926

            *************
            *************

            -- Pat Conroy
            The Prince of Tides

            maybe the misinfo wouldn't have spread so fast if it weren't for our
            "advanced" means of communication...

            Thank you for your e-mail and I would wish to apologize if I sounded
            irritated in my e-mail, but this whole issue is immensely troubling.

            From what I can deduce, after Geoffrey P. Hunt wrote the piece in the
            American Thinker, someone did a cursory google search and came up with
            my bio-sketch
            from our Institute. They then attached the bio-sketch to the article and
            dispatched it around the web. Since then either myself or the Institute
            have had many
            many e-mails.

            Sincerely

            Geoffrey Hunt

            As I noted thisAt 07:09 PM 7/1/2010, you wrote:
            > Thank you. The item I received appeared to me to be bogus. I notified
            > the
            >sender that I would check into its legitimacy. A Google search through
            >three pages was predictably full of current dutiful parrotings of the
            >original politically poisonous screed on blogs that can be
            >characterized as leaning
            >heavily toward starboard. One site said only that the author was not
            >the same
            >individual as the one who is a senior scientist, mentioning only the
            >agency name
            >but not the individual's profession. There seems to be no evidence on
            >anything I found as to who chose to identify you as the writer of this
            >piece, or
            >whether they intended to paste some gravitas onto it or to villify
            >anthropological fields.
            > I then send a request to the Society for Anthropology in Community
            > Colleges, of
            >which I am a member, to see if anyone had any idea as to what I had
            >found. Someone in this network evidently notified you. I will now thank
            >that as-yet-anonymous individual profusely, and forward my new-found
            >information to
            >the individual who sent it to me.
            > This matter is of extreme interest to me. I apologize for any problems
            > this
            >may have caused you.
            > George Thomas

            Find out more at our web page : http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo !
            Groups Links

            signature
            database 5247 (20100702) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3 7:06 AM
              George, I seem to remember a similar instance some time ago where someone wrote an extreme, right-wing diatribe on a topic and (allegedly) had the same name as a legitimate scientist, except for the middle initial (can't remember the name). The scientist weighed in to clarify the issue and the author turned out to be a "business executive" who contributed regularly to some right-wing publication. It wasn't clear whether the mixup was accidental or whether the author was intentionally trading on the scientist's name.
              Lloyd