Who is Geoffrey P. Hunt?

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
      Speaking of delusional hopes that our friends and neighbors are not simmering racists etc., there's a rather poisonous article circulating about the Web in strong condemnation of Barack Obama's "failed" presidency, and attributed to one Geoffrey P. Hunt, a social and cultural anthropologist with the NIH and/or other assorted official-sounding agencies, and a frequent writer for "American Thinker."  One Google site mentioned that the author is "not the same Geoffrey P. Hunt" as the one who is a "senior scientist" with some institute of "Scientific Analysis."  This one did not identify either Hunt as an anthropologist.  Something smells quite bogus here, and the gratuitous smear directed at anthropology seems likewise.
      Has anyone among us SACCers encountered this phenomenon?
      George

    • Julia Kirst
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
        To George and all,

        our colleague Geoffrey Hunt is not the author of this article. Below is his
        answer to my inquiry. Please let us clear the name of a man who is an
        absolutely competent and trustworthy anthropologist.

        Julia

        Dear Julia

        Thanks for your e-mail.

        No I am not the author of this scurrilous article, whoever connected my name
        to it has caused myself and our Institute a tremendous amount of problems.
        In fact on both our Institute website and the website of the American
        Thinker there are disclaimers.

        If you are in touch with George Thomas, please let him know that it is not
        me and that a disclaimer should be posted.

        Regards

        On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM, George Thomas <broruprecht@...> wrote:

        > Speaking of delusional hopes that our friends and neighbors are not
        > simmering racists etc., there's a rather poisonous article circulating about
        > the Web in strong condemnation of Barack Obama's "failed" presidency, and
        > attributed to one Geoffrey P. Hunt, a social and cultural anthropologist
        > with the NIH and/or other assorted official-sounding agencies, and a
        > frequent writer for "American Thinker." One Google site mentioned that the
        > author is "not the same Geoffrey P. Hunt" as the one who is a "senior
        > scientist" with some institute of "Scientific Analysis." This one did not
        > identify either Hunt as an anthropologist. Something smells quite bogus
        > here, and the gratuitous smear directed at anthropology seems likewise.
        > Has anyone among us SACCers encountered this phenomenon?
        > George

      • Julia Kirst
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
          The follow message was just sent by the anthropologists Geoffrey Hunt to me.
          He asks that it be posted on the list.

          --

          I have just been informed by Julia Kirst that on the SACC list my name has
          been associated with a scurrilous article that appeared in the publication

          The association of my name to this article has caused both myself and our
          Institute many problems and I would wish that all readers who subscribe to
          the list should know that I am not the author of the article. The author of
          the article is a business executive and not an anthropologist.

          I am a Social Anthropologist and senior scientist at the Institute of
          Scientific Analysis in San Francisco an independent non-profit academic
          research Institute established over 40 years ago.

          Disclaimers can be found on both our own Institute website and on the
          website of the American Thinker.

          Geoffrey Hunt

          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM, George Thomas <broruprecht@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of delusional hopes that our friends and neighbors are not
          > simmering racists etc., there's a rather poisonous article circulating about
          > the Web in strong condemnation of Barack Obama's "failed" presidency, and
          > attributed to one Geoffrey P. Hunt, a social and cultural anthropologist
          > with the NIH and/or other assorted official-sounding agencies, and a
          > frequent writer for "American Thinker." One Google site mentioned that the
          > author is "not the same Geoffrey P. Hunt" as the one who is a "senior
          > scientist" with some institute of "Scientific Analysis." This one did not
          > identify either Hunt as an anthropologist. Something smells quite bogus
          > here, and the gratuitous smear directed at anthropology seems likewise.
          > Has anyone among us SACCers encountered this phenomenon?
          > George

          e-mail address anytime at the following address:
          http://groups.google.com/group/nasa-list/subscribe. You can also e-mail me
          directly if you are having difficulties with the link.

          To post or forward announcements of interest to the NASA list-serve, please
          e-mail nasa-list@... or jkirstnasa@....

          To visit the new NASA website, including the opportunities deadline
          calendar, go to www.studentanthropologists.org

          Julia Kirst, Ph.D. candidate, NASA Opportunities List Editor
          Anthropology Department
          Brandeis University
          Waltham, MA