Basu: How does issue of race matter to you?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2010
      You have been sent an online news article from Lloyd Miller as a courtesy of DesMoinesRegister.com.

      Article Title:
      Basu: How does issue of race matter to you?

      To view the contents on www.desmoinesregister.com, go to:
      http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201006250405/OPINION01/6250336

      Message:
      AAA's Race exhibit is in Des Moines for the summer. Here's a review by a local op ed columnist.
      Lloyd
    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
        Basu's article mentions "The Bell Curve," which reduced race-based performance to simple formulas, as a "1996 book."  Herrenstein and Murray's book came out in 1994.  I looked it up thinking it was a bit earlier, but I'm sure I was influenced by Jensen's 1969 "work".

        Basu: How does issue of race matter to you?
            Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
          It also gets mixed up on the relationship between scientific arguments (like that of the AAA or AAPA that race is not "real") and social arguments. What the science is saying is that the differences attributed to race in the sociocultural and political realms have no basis in biology --- so those distinctions are not "real" in the sense that they are reliably and validly related to the biologic variation among populations.

          Anj

          ------------
          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer
          Department of Biological Sciences
          University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
          PO Box 413
          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
          CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
          Telephone: 414-229-6784
          FAX: 414-229-3926

          *************
          *************

          -- Pat Conroy
          The Prince of Tides

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
            I think you make an important point here, Anj. It seems that no matter how anthropologists try to explain "race" to the public, many people hear it as "Anthropologists say there's no such thing as race!" "Then whatta 'bout everything I see (skin color, behavior, yada, yada)?" And then when we start explaining things like "social constructs," etc, eyes glaze over and the moment is lost.

            It seems somewhat analogous to the "theory of evolution"--"evolution's just a theory, not a fact" and" I don't believe in it" idea. When I taught, I always preferred to use the phrase "evolution theory" instead, and took time to explain the difference to students.

            Lloyd

            On Jun 27, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Andrew J Petto wrote:

            > It also gets mixed up on the relationship between scientific arguments (like that of the AAA or AAPA that race is not "real") and social arguments. What the science is saying is that the differences attributed to race in the sociocultural and political realms have no basis in biology --- so those distinctions are not "real" in the sense that they are reliably and validly related to the biologic variation among populations.
            >
            > Anj

          • George Thomas
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2010
              Lloyd, this is such an accurate description of precisely how any informed discussion of race or evolution dies in mid conversation, complete with the dramatic timing!
              I seem to have succeeded with my current crop of students by insisting that yes, there really are such things as multiple kinds and manifestations of human variation, but that no conclusive or useful information has come out of any attempt to correlate intelligence with any aspect of human variation (perhaps with the exception of certain pathologies).  By that time the eyes have not yet glazed over, I simply reminded them that they'll be TESTED on the boring "social constructs," and they were trapped.
              These "social constructs" fit in well with my spiel on cultural linguistics and categories (Inuit have a kazillion terms for snow..... etc)

              Re: Basu: How does issue of race matter to you?
                  Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                  Date: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 am ((PDT))