New Book on Teaching Anthropology

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2010
      This was sent to me by Dr. Elizabeth Bird, who is soliciting chapters or papers for a new scholarly book on anthropological pedagogy. She asks that SACC members contribute to the literature on:
      1) how anthropology is and should be taught at the college level, and 2) explores what the distinct perspective of anthropology brings to the teaching of particular concepts and topics.

      Laura

      ***************************

      Below is a Call for Chapters for a book on anthropological pedagogy, to be edited by Karla Davis-Salazar and me. We are interested in contributions from all fields of anthropology, and we would appreciate your help in forwarding this call to any individuals or lists who might be interested. Thanks.

      S. Elizabeth Bird, Ph.D.
      Professor: Department of Anthropology
      SOC 107, University of South Florida
      4202 E. Fowler Ave.
      Tampa, FL 33620
      Phone: 813 974 0802
      Fax: 813 974 2668
      Email: ebird@...
      Web page: http://anthropology.usf.edu/faculty/bird/

      Call for Chapter Proposals

      On Teaching Anthropology: Philosophy, Purpose, and Pedagogy.

      Anthropology lags behind other social science fields in developing a significant body of research on the pedagogy of our discipline. There is no anthropological equivalent of the journals Teaching Sociology, Teaching Geography, or Teaching of Psychology, all of which offer research-based discussions of the philosophy, methods, and content of teaching and learning in their respective disciplines. The journal Anthropology and Education Quarterly does include such discussions occasionally; however, its central focus is the anthropology of education as a distinct sub-field.

      Rice and McCurdy's highly-successful book series on Strategies in Teaching Anthropology demonstrates the demand for practical advice on teaching. The collections offer a compendium of exercises and tips on how to tackle particular issues, drawn from contributors' personal experience in the classroom, and is widely used and appreciated. However, we believe that now is the time to develop a mature body of research that critically examines: 1) how anthropology is and should be taught at the college level, and 2) explores what the distinct perspective of anthropology brings to the teaching of particular concepts and topics.

      Thus we are planning an edited volume that, for the first time, will bring together systematic research studies of anthropological pedagogy. Our goal is to define the teaching of anthropology as a legitimate research endeavor in its own right, as well as to offer evidence-based, practical assistance to anthropology faculty members.

      An academic publisher has expressed interest in such a volume, and we have been invited to submit a full proposal. Now we would like to hear from anyone interested in participating. At this point, we are inviting potential contributors to submit either:

      *A title and 500-word abstract, describing your proposed chapter, and the research questions and methodology you will be using
      Or:
      *A complete paper. Although we plan that most chapters will be original, we are also willing to consider previously-published pieces (possibly revised) if there is an especially good fit.

      We are interested in work addressing all sub-fields of anthropology, and that address teaching in any post-secondary context, whether undergraduate or graduate. The research questions that might be explored are many, and we are open to any and all suggestions. Some that seem pertinent include:

      *Anthropology's place in general education curricula. In countless colleges and universities, anthropology courses are central, especially in fulfilling such criteria as "cultural diversity" or "multi-cultural perspectives, and most recently, "global competence" or "global literacy." What do we know about the intentions of anthropologists in developing courses for general education? What do students take from such courses?

      *In many institutions, there is increasing pressure to offer classes online. How does online teaching and learning in anthropology differ from traditional classroom-based experiences? Who teaches online and why?

      *How has the new digital media environment impacted anthropological teaching?

      *How do such experiences as study abroad programs, field schools, internships, or other non-classroom-based programs contribute to effective anthropological learning?

      *What are some of the key concepts that undergird the teaching of anthropology (e.g. cultural relativism, understandings of race, gender roles, evolutionary theory etc.), and how do we theorize and apply them in teaching?

      *What do we know about the training of graduate students in teaching? What approaches are effective, and how systematic is such training?

      *What do we know about the anthropological professoriate? How is teaching evaluated in tenure and promotion?

      *What attracts students to anthropology? As a choice of major, what does anthropology offer over other subjects, from the student point of view? Do popular depictions of anthropologically-related topics (e.g. Indiana Jones, CSI etc.) play into student interest?

      *What do we know about the effectiveness of anthropological pedagogy? How do we assess student learning in anthropology? What efforts have been made to assess learning in anthropology at course, program, and/or discipline/national levels?

      *What innovations or lack thereof have there been in undergraduate anthropology programs? What trends are there at the program level? Do applied programs differ from more "traditional" programs? If so, in what ways?

      *What are the current trends/innovations in graduate anthropology programs?

      *What are the distinct contributions of community colleges?

      *What is the rationale for the content of textbooks? Who decides the content, and how/why?

      We see this volume becoming a key resource that will establish anthropological pedagogy as a field of scholarly research, and will offer those teaching anthropology a source book of sound scholarship across all sub-fields of our discipline.
      Please send abstracts/papers as soon as possible, and no later than Sept. 30, 2010 to either Elizabeth Bird (ebird@...<mailto:ebird@...>)
      or Karla Davis-Salazar karladavis@...<mailto:karladavis@...> both Department of Anthropology, University of South Florida.