Re: [SACC-L] Culture - "a weapon"???

  • Kent Morris
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
      this is really nothing new--cultural knowledge has been used to fight the
      enemy since WW2 when the government started hiring anthropologists to
      accomplish such an end and has become particularly manifested in the
      present- day Human Terrain System that has alientated many
      anthropologists...
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
        Thanks. There's an awful lot always coming out on "Human Terrain" and related topics.
        G.Thomas
        Central Texas College

        Culture - "a weapon"???
            Posted by: "Ann Bragdon" ANNBRAG@... annbrag@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
          All treatments of this set of "anthros on the front lines" issues, since 2004-5, have said about the same thing -- ie, questions as to whether it is really anthropology. This one differs only in stating more specifically how the business/management, mechanistic, formulaic, cook-book concept of culture has missed the mark.  I'm struck by the similarity between these gaffes and the ones described in Vietnam by Francis Fitzgerald in Fire In The Lake.  There also seems to be a reawakening of the debunked National Character School going on.  There is no learning curve.
          There also seems to be a perceptible falling-off of anthropologists signing on to HTS, if one takes this article at face value.  The mismatch of "knowledge" and its uses dates to WWI, if we draw an arbitrary line at the time when anthropology became an established academic field in this country. Recall Boas, "Scientists As Spies."
          George

              Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@... kenthm52

          > This article reflects issues discussed at AAA.
          > fyi
          > ann
          > Rochelle Davis is assistant professor of anthropology in the Center
          > for Contemporary Arab Studies
          >
          > in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.

        • Thomas Stevenson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
            In 2005 or so, I attended a talk by an Army Colonel who was in
            intelligence in Iraq. He kept making the point that things there hadn't
            been going well because the army hadn't paid much attention to Iraqi
            culture. I pointed out that this was what had been said in the
            post-Vietnam assessments. He responded that the army was filled with
            slow learners.

            Thomas B. Stevenson
            PO Box 175
            White Cottage, OH 43791

            George Thomas wrote:
            > All treatments of this set of "anthros on the front lines" issues, since 2004-5, have said about the same thing -- ie, questions as to whether it is really anthropology. This one differs only in stating more specifically how the business/management, mechanistic, formulaic, cook-book concept of culture has missed the mark. I'm struck by the similarity between these gaffes and the ones described in Vietnam by Francis Fitzgerald in Fire In The Lake. There also seems to be a reawakening of the debunked National Character School going on. There is no learning curve.
            > There also seems to be a perceptible falling-off of anthropologists signing on to HTS, if one takes this article at face value. The mismatch of "knowledge" and its uses dates to WWI, if we draw an arbitrary line at the time when anthropology became an established academic field in this country. Recall Boas, "Scientists As Spies."
            > George
            >
            > Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@... kenthm52
            > Date: Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:35 am ((PDT))
            >
            > this is really nothing new--cultural knowledge has been used to fight the
            > enemy since WW2 when the government started hiring anthropologists to
            > accomplish such an end and has become particularly manifested in the
            > present- day Human Terrain System that has alientated many
            > anthropologists...

          • kent morris
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
              what do you think he meant by that statement?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                He meant that the army was uncomfortable changing how they see the world
                and specifically the people they're warring against. Their view was,
                and still is, that people basically want to be like them but just
                haven't figured out how to do it. I later read a piece the colonel
                wrote on "tribes" and the analysis was based on stereotypes.

                Thomas B. Stevenson
                PO Box 175
                White Cottage, OH 43791

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                  interesting...
                  > He meant that the army was uncomfortable changing how they see the world
                  > and specifically the people they're warring against. Their view was,
                  > and still is, that people basically want to be like them but just
                  > haven't figured out how to do it. I later read a piece the colonel
                  > wrote on "tribes" and the analysis was based on stereotypes.
                  >
                  > Thomas B. Stevenson
                  > PO Box 175
                  > White Cottage, OH 43791
                  >

                  > kent morris wrote:
                  >> what do you think he meant by that statement?

                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5180 (20100607) __________

                  http://www.eset.com
                • George Thomas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
                    In some anthropology and the military sessions at the 2002 AAA meetings in New Orleans, some may have touched on this. There's a remnant belief that anthropologists who insist on maintaining trust and rapport with "the native," are in danger of "going native." From a military intelligence perspective, this borders on anthropologist-as-untrustworthy.  One individual noted that military leaders are uncomfortable being taught or observed by anthropologists, as this makes them feel like the study stubjects which they certainly don't wish to be.
                    Then there's the institutional divide. Military leaders are at odds with anthropologists due to fundamental differences in world view.  Each side believes it possesses the keys to unravelling the puzzle.  Complicating this, each side also resents the fact that the other side believes so. Thus, when the military makes a pretense of welcoming anthropologists into the decision making realms, military leaders take good notes and accept the anthropological input only so far.  When anthropology fails to confirm the military's basic assumptions of "mission," and speaks of "ethics," military leaders draw a blank.  The military is, after all, the arbiter of all "ethics," so what's the point?
                    Thus the mechanized, push-the-button-and-watch-"culture"-work-for-us view becomes the program.  The stereotypes and the "national character" get treated seriously.  Any inadequate crash courses in anthropology do not. The difficulties in practice (slayings, disarray within HTS) don't seem to be "helping" military planners see the underlying problems.
                    gt

                        Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@... kenthm52
                        Date: Mon Jun 7, 2010 5:27 pm ((PDT))

                    interesting...