Re: Rant

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
      Marshall Sahlins's affluent forager, AND Marvin Harris's section in his 1970s-80s text re our illusions about having more free time than foragers. Harris provided stats for intro students.
      Continuing with previous poop under discussion, I was recently unexpectedly edumuckated while on a survey involving "shovel tests." Among the small, non-artifactual rocks on one screen load was something that looked like a tightly-wrapped snail-like or gastropod fossil, but not quite.  I put it in a safe place until I could look it up in my Adubon fossil fleld guide.  Winging it and going by morphology alone, I found the thing illustrated.  It was a shark coprolite.  I actually must admit, in fairness, that I was momentarily tempted to treat the thing like an artifact, some kind of sculpture.
      We rant on an on about "exceptionalism" and, securely lacking in information, we assume we are better off than anyone in the past because we have more "stuff," and that we have a handle on complexity.
      But it seems the shark has the edge on poop complexity. (Who was the poop "designer," and what were they thinking?)

      George

      Posted by: "Lynch, Brian M" blynch@... bdlqvcc
          Date: Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:57 am ((PDT))

      Bob, Interesting parallel, by the way, with the experience of having to tell a budding archaeologist that he just put 'poop' in your hand rather than a valuable artifact.

          Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
          Date: Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:34 am ((PDT))

      Yes, thanks for the idea!

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
        I will now wait with curiosity to see how coprolite morphology and complexity might work their way into the ID scenario!

        Brian

            Date: Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:57 am ((PDT))

            Date: Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:34 am ((PDT))

        Yes, thanks for the idea!

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
          Perfect!  We may be on our way to preempting the next evolutionary step within the ID genepool.  But really, the divine complexity of shark coprolites is a holy wonder.....One finds one and hears choirs..... organs..... um.....
          I'll see what happens if I ever find another one and the lab folks find it bagged & tagged.
          :-)

              Posted by: "Lynch, Brian M" blynch@... bdlqvcc
              Date: Thu Jun 3, 2010 5:48 am ((PDT))

              Date: Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:57 am ((PDT))