Call for Chapter Proposals

  • jayant.anand
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hello All,
      I received a call for chapter proposals from the Society for Economic
      Anthropology's email-list. I think this might be something many of us in
      the SACC might be interested in.
      Cheers,Jayant-----------------Assistant Professor of Anthropology &
      SociologyUniversity of Wisconsin - Barron County-----------------Call
      for Chapter Proposals On Teaching Anthropology: Philosophy, Purpose, and
      Pedagogy. Anthropology lags behind other social science fields in
      developing a significant body of research on the pedagogy of our
      discipline. There is no anthropological equivalent of the journals
      Teaching Sociology, Teaching Geography, or Teaching of Psychology, all
      of which offer research-based discussions of the philosophy, methods,
      and content of teaching and learning in their respective disciplines.
      The journal Anthropology and Education Quarterly does include such
      discussions occasionally; however, its central focus is the anthropology
      of education as a distinct sub-field. Rice and McCurdy's
      highly-successful book series on Strategies in Teaching Anthropology
      demonstrates the demand for practical advice on teaching. The
      collections offer a compendium of exercises and tips on how to tackle
      particular issues, drawn from contributors' personal experience in
      the classroom, and is widely used and appreciated. However, we believe
      that now is the time to develop a mature body of research that
      critically examines: 1) how anthropology is and should be taught at the
      college level, and 2) explores what the distinct perspective of
      anthropology brings to the teaching of particular concepts and topics.
      Thus we are planning an edited volume that, for the first time, will
      bring together systematic research studies of anthropological pedagogy.
      Our goal is to define the teaching of anthropology as a legitimate
      research endeavor in its own right, as well as to offer evidence-based,
      practical assistance to anthropology faculty members. An academic
      publisher has expressed interest in such a volume, and we have been
      invited to submit a full proposal. Now we would like to hear from anyone
      interested in participating. At this point, we are inviting potential
      contributors to submit either:
      * A title and 500-word abstract, describing your proposed chapter,
      and the research questions and methodology you will be using
      Or:
      * A complete paper. Although we plan that most chapters will be
      original, we are also willing to consider previously-published pieces
      (possibly revised) if there is an especially good fit.
      We are interested in work addressing all sub-fields of anthropology,
      and that address teaching in any post-secondary context, whether
      undergraduate or graduate. The research questions that might be
      explored are many, and we are open to any and all suggestions. Some that
      seem pertinent include:
      * Anthropology's place in general education curricula. In
      countless colleges and universities, anthropology courses are central,
      especially in fulfilling such criteria as "cultural diversity"
      or "multi-cultural perspectives, and most recently, "global
      competence" or "global literacy." What do we know about the
      intentions of anthropologists in developing courses for general
      education? What do students take from such courses?
      * In many institutions, there is increasing pressure to offer classes
      online. How does online teaching and learning in anthropology differ
      from traditional classroom-based experiences? Who teaches online and
      why?
      * How has the new digital media environment impacted anthropological
      teaching?
      * How do such experiences as study abroad programs, field schools,
      internships, or other non-classroom-based programs contribute to
      effective anthropological learning?
      * What are some of the key concepts that undergird the teaching of
      anthropology (e.g. cultural relativism, understandings of race, gender
      roles, evolutionary theory etc.), and how do we theorize and apply them
      in teaching?
      * What do we know about the training of graduate students in
      teaching? What approaches are effective, and how systematic is such
      training?
      * What do we know about the anthropological professoriate? How is
      teaching evaluated in tenure and promotion?
      * What attracts students to anthropology? As a choice of major, what
      does anthropology offer over other subjects, from the student point of
      view? Do popular depictions of anthropologically-related topics (e.g.
      Indiana Jones, CSI etc.) play into student interest?
      * What do we know about the effectiveness of anthropological
      pedagogy? How do we assess student learning in anthropology? What
      efforts have been made to assess learning in anthropology at course,
      program, and/or discipline/national levels?
      * What innovations or lack thereof have there been in undergraduate
      anthropology programs? What trends are there at the program level? Do
      applied programs differ from more "traditional" programs? If so,
      in what ways?
      * What are the current trends/innovations in graduate anthropology
      programs?
      * What are the distinct contributions of community colleges?
      * What is the rationale for the content of textbooks? Who decides the
      content, and how/why?
      We see this volume becoming a key resource that will establish
      anthropological pedagogy as a field of scholarly research, and will
      offer those teaching anthropology a source book of sound scholarship
      across all sub-fields of our discipline. Please send abstracts/papers as
      soon as possible, and no later than Sept. 30, 2010 to either Elizabeth
      Bird (ebird@...) or Karla Davis-Salazar karladavis@...
      Department of Anthropology, University of South Florida.