Re: [SACC-L] FW: Technology versus Tradition

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
      Let me chime in here. If the technology either (a) helps students learn
      better; of (b) helps us know better whether students are learning, then
      it is good. If it does otherwise, it is not.

      So, do use an online chat in my class --- because the class is enormous
      and there is no other way to handle questions during lecture; and
      sometimes, it is way cool that students answer each others' questions
      (and most often correctly).

      I also use an online dropbox to collect assignments. Then I can download
      them and compare them (if necesary) to a bank of previous assignments.

      Some of this is a matter of economies of scale --- when universities
      insist on stuffing hundreds of students into a single course, the
      technology can actually increase the amount of time I get to spend on
      real teaching, compared to course management and so on.

      When there are as few as 80-100 students, then a lot of the technology
      loses its appeal.

      Anj

      On 2010-06-02 10:11, dianne.chidester@... wrote:

      > Some interesting ideas regarding technology in the classroom. - Dianne
      >
      > http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/06/02/nisod
      >
      > This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
      > Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
      > sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
      > To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been
      > scanned and is free of viruses and malware.

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
      PO Box 413
      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
      CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
      fax: 414.229.3926
      ajpetto@...
      http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

      *************
      *************

      -- Pat Conroy
      The Prince of Tides

    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
        I once heard an old Irish labor song that had a refrain something like: "When you go in to the factory, are you the worker or the tool?"
        "Liberal" education is suppose to be, well, "liberating." In the best of our traditions in higher education, what we teach--in most of our disciplines--is aimed at helping people become active subjects in their worlds (Liberation theologians in the 70's and 80's talked about people becoming "artisans of a new humanity.") In that spirit I would ask whether our classrooms and our institutions are aiming to engage students with the tools that will be shaping their/our world outside of academia? And are we engaging them (and ourselves) as artisans, or as extensions of the tools?

        Brian

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
          Anj- let me expand here on your last thought - most of my classes are fire marshall limited at 35. I have a lot of students who need attention - whohave had all too much "distance" learning- with or without the technology.
          Actual contact really does mean a lot, especially in small classes.
          Mike Pavlik

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
            It means a lot in big classes, too. I can tell the difference in the
            students who came for help and those who didn't --- or waited until too
            late.