Re: [SACC-L] FW: Technology versus Tradition

  • mep1mep
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
      Thanks for this, Dianne.

      Someone should send this to Michael Wesch.  My IT guy is at the conference.  Yesterday, he posted an update to his FB page stating that he was on his way to a panel on how to induce reluctant faculty to use more tech in classroom.  I wanted to whack him with a big stick--metaphorically, of course.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
        One of the things I always wonder about is just how much money goes into
        the technology which is nearly obsolete by the time it gets installed in
        our classrooms.

        We, too, now have some kind of a "Center" with a technology staff and
        director. We recently got an e-mail that all technology has to go
        through this center for approval before adoption in the classroom. I
        haven't had the nerve to ask them if they want to check my books, pens,
        and pencils since they too are technology.

        --Dianne

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
          Let me chime in here. If the technology either (a) helps students learn
          better; of (b) helps us know better whether students are learning, then
          it is good. If it does otherwise, it is not.

          So, do use an online chat in my class --- because the class is enormous
          and there is no other way to handle questions during lecture; and
          sometimes, it is way cool that students answer each others' questions
          (and most often correctly).

          I also use an online dropbox to collect assignments. Then I can download
          them and compare them (if necesary) to a bank of previous assignments.

          Some of this is a matter of economies of scale --- when universities
          insist on stuffing hundreds of students into a single course, the
          technology can actually increase the amount of time I get to spend on
          real teaching, compared to course management and so on.

          When there are as few as 80-100 students, then a lot of the technology
          loses its appeal.

          Anj

          On 2010-06-02 10:11, dianne.chidester@... wrote:

          > Some interesting ideas regarding technology in the classroom. - Dianne
          >
          > http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/06/02/nisod
          >
          > This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
          > Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
          > sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
          > To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been
          > scanned and is free of viruses and malware.

          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer
          Department of Biological Sciences
          University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
          PO Box 413
          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
          CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
          fax: 414.229.3926
          ajpetto@...
          http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

          *************
          *************

          -- Pat Conroy
          The Prince of Tides

        • Lynch, Brian M
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
            I once heard an old Irish labor song that had a refrain something like: "When you go in to the factory, are you the worker or the tool?"
            "Liberal" education is suppose to be, well, "liberating." In the best of our traditions in higher education, what we teach--in most of our disciplines--is aimed at helping people become active subjects in their worlds (Liberation theologians in the 70's and 80's talked about people becoming "artisans of a new humanity.") In that spirit I would ask whether our classrooms and our institutions are aiming to engage students with the tools that will be shaping their/our world outside of academia? And are we engaging them (and ourselves) as artisans, or as extensions of the tools?

            Brian

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5166 (20100602) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
              Anj- let me expand here on your last thought - most of my classes are fire marshall limited at 35. I have a lot of students who need attention - whohave had all too much "distance" learning- with or without the technology.
              Actual contact really does mean a lot, especially in small classes.
              Mike Pavlik

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
                It means a lot in big classes, too. I can tell the difference in the
                students who came for help and those who didn't --- or waited until too
                late.