RE: [SACC-L] Re: AAA and Wiley-Blackwell

  • Dianne C
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010
      I want to say thanks again to Lloyd and Mel who really kept us on the right course regarding the publishing. -- Dianne Chidester

      CC: deborah.shepherd@...; marenjanette@...; mjmcwhorte@...; stein39@...; mtromans@...; bmuckle@...; bmueller@...; johnson@...; bjoans@...; tstevens@...; ninivaggic@...; NicoleIves@...; WGByrne@...; phamlen@...; dianneky@...; majohns1@...; steinrl@...; ellenbaumbridge@...; akcahoon@...; mrkellogg@...; grodgers@...; mkgilliland@...; flagana@...; bdonohue-lynch@...; babe@...; lagonzal@...; kauppa@...; pamela.maack@...; roberg@...; bkass@...; abalzano@...; ann.popplestone@...; Margaret.Ismaila-Mitchell@...; mark.lewine@...; weber@...; ddbruner@...; jwenzel@...; mlewine@...; broruprecht@...; jo_rainie@...; ldlight10@...; missiontosonora@...; SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      To: tsullivan@...
      From: lloyd.miller@...
      Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 17:53:18 -0500
      Subject: [SACC-L] Re: AAA and Wiley-Blackwell

      Dear Colleagues,

      Recently, I forwarded to you an email from the president of the AAA Association of Feminist Anthropologists section without comment. The message detailed the AFA's difficulties in getting services from Wiley-Blackwell Publishers (whom AAA contracts to manage AnthroSource and who produces journals and newsletters for some of AAA's sections). I apologize to you for not providing explanation.

      W-B does not publish SACC Notes. We chose not to accept AAA's offer to publish us in 2005 when their contracted partner was U of CA Press, and made no additional changes when W-B superseded them. This year we switched to digital publishing and emailed the spring 2010 SACC Notes issue to members and subscribers as a portable disc file (pdf). (If you did not receive this, email me and I will send it to you.)

      We will continue to produce the publication digitally. I do it, as always, on my Macintosh computer, and without printing and mailing, the cost to SACC is effectively zero. Ann Kaupp, SACC website committee chair, asked me to report to you that we are in the process of improving our website (saccweb.net). SACC has hired anthropologist Colleen Popson as a web consultant to assist Ann in this development.

      We plan to place future issues of SACC Notes on the website rather than emailing them to members, since our membership lists change from issue to issue. We have yet to decide whether to create a members/subscribers only section accessible by user name and password, or place the publication on the website as available to the public in general. Soon members and subscribers will be asked to complete a short survey of their feelings and wishes about this issue. Meanwhile, if you'd like to share your thoughts on this, please email me and/or members of the website committee: Ann Kaupp, Chair, KAUPPA@..., Laura Gonzalez, lagonzal@..., Barry Kass, bkass@....

      All this aside, I am saddened by AFA's plight and that of other sections in this situation. I don't how it will come out, but I am glad that we--SACC--are running our own show.

      Lloyd