Update: AnthroNews Article Proposals on Music/Sound Now Due June 1

  • Dinah Winnick
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2010
      Dear Colleagues,

      Due to popular demand, we have extended the article proposal deadline for the upcoming Anthropology News issue on music and sound to Tuesday, June 1. To participate, email a 300-word abstract and 50-100-word author bio to me, AN editor Dinah Winnick (dwinnick@...). Selected authors will be notified of their status in late June, and full articles-commentaries of 1000-1400 words or shorter pieces for other article types-will be due by October 1. Please circulate this message and feel free to contact me with any questions.

      Best regards,
      Dinah Winnick
      Managing Editor, Anthropology News
      American Anthropological Association
      dwinnick@...

      Anthropology News Music and Sound CFP:
      Article Proposal Deadline Extended to June 1

      The AAA Music and Sound Interest Group gathered for the first time in 2009 to recognize the increasing production and impact of aural anthropology projects. Anthropologists of music and ethnomusicologists are today developing innovative work on musical experience and performance, sound recording and broadcast technologies, public soundscapes and more. As recording technologies become more accessible, the topics available for study and methods for approaching them continue to expand. For example, scholars are currently researching the music and verbal art of gospel choirs living with HIV in South Africa, playback singing in Bollywood film, and the use of sound in military practices during the Iraq war. Their research contributes to broader anthropological literatures in areas ranging from linguistics to aesthetics to economics.

      Still, significant room for growth remains. As interest group convener David Novak noted in February 2010 AN, "aurality is underrepresented in comparison with visuality as an area of anthropological research." The December 2010 AN issue offers contributors an opportunity to (1) consider both the challenges facing the anthropology of music and sound as a growing discipline, and the unique and compelling insights it can provide; (2) share current scholarship in this topical area; and (3) examine the interrelationships among various disciplinary approaches to the study of music and sound. In addition to textual and visual submissions, we also welcome sound recordings, to be posted online in conjunction with print publication of the issue.

      Guidelines
      To participate, email a 300-word abstract and 50-100-word biosketch to Anthropology News Managing Editor Dinah Winnick (dwinnick@...<mailto:dwinnick@...>). Proposals for photo essays should also include five high resolution photographs (tiff or jpg), each with a caption and credit. Proposals for audio submissions should also include selected sound clips, to illustrate audio quality, style and content. Selected authors will be notified of their status in late June, and full articles-commentaries of 1000-1400 words or shorter pieces for other article types, plus any multimedia submissions-will be due by October 1.

      Extended proposal submission deadline: June 1, 2010
      Early submissions are encouraged.