student friendly resources on Africa for an intro Cultural class

  • ninivaggic
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2010
      I have some African students in the Fall. I want to add some accessible materials on Africa, ideally ethnic groups from Zimbabwe and Nigeria, to my Cultural Anthropology class. Topics could be language, gender, religion, globalization...I could put them anywhere in the course. If you've used something that's worked I'd appreciate a citation!
    • Hare II, William E
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2010
        Hi,

        You may want to include something about music. Here are a couple of
        interesting sites:

        http://www.atlasofpluckedinstruments.com/africa.htm

        www.mbira.org (This is an organization that promotes the Shona music of
        Zimbabwe. By coincidence I am attending a workshop this weekend on
        mbira playing. If I get any more information to share I will send it
        along).

        http://www.afropop.org/

        Will