arch field school updates

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2010
      In the event anybody is interested in following along an archaeological project/field school as it goes along, I have decided to put short daily updates on my Twitter site (twitter.com/bobmuckle) and my Facebook page. By necessity, they will be short (as in 140 characters or less).

      The field school started today (May 10th) and runs thru June 25th. It is an historic archaeology project in a forest close to Capilano (in western Canada). Today was basically an orientiation day on campus, familiarizing students with the project and local history, distributing some field supplies (eg. field notebooks, flagging tape), and getting them to sign waivers (bears, cougars, and ticks). There are 15 students.

      The primary objective this year will be to test the hypothesis that after its initial abandonment as a logging camp c 1922, a small group of Japanese continued to secretly occupied the site up until 1942. Previous field schools have worked at this site before and we have collected several hundred artifacts. It is pretty clear that the primary occupation dates to the early 1920s (eg. almost all the artifacts we can date date to c. 1910-1920). We have one artifact that may be more recent though (a toothpaste tube that some preliminary research suggests dates to the late 1920s or early 1930s. To me, the spatial patterning of some artifacts suggests some were "hidden" and the fact that we have quite a few personal items (combs, toothbrushes, watches and clocks) suggest a relatively quick abandonment with limited ability to take things (which may be explained by WW II internment).

      We will also be revisited previously investigated sites and looking for others through the next several weeks.