Seems Like AZ is on a Roll?

  • bdlqvcc
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 4:22 AM
      News items have noted in the past few days not only the now infamous "Fear the Other" apartheid pass law signed by the Governor in Arizona, but several other similarly motivated bills that reflect a trend in the state legislature. This seems to call for not only a response to the original anti-other pass law, but a much more concerted scrutiny by professions (teaching organizations, professional education organizations, discipline centered professional organizations, and more). The latest example-- a bill in AZ that targets "ethnic studies" programs-- or another that requires removing certain teachers "with accents" from classes of students who are learning English--begins to point to trend in that state that seems to be tapping people's basest fears and reactions. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100430/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1885

      Seems to me if anthropology ever had place or a moment in which its insights and understandings were called for, here it is!

      Brian
    • bdlqvcc
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 4:40 AM
        An article looking at the even bigger picture in the US in general.
        http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,692119,00.html

        As part of this, congress is now even considering (again) a mandatory worker-ID card that would contain biometric data, including one's fingerprints.

        Brian

        --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "bdlqvcc" <blynch@...> wrote:

        > News items have noted in the past few days not only the now infamous "Fear the Other" apartheid pass law signed by the Governor in Arizona, but several other similarly motivated bills that reflect a trend in the state legislature. This seems to call for not only a response to the original anti-other pass law, but a much more concerted scrutiny by professions (teaching organizations, professional education organizations, discipline centered professional organizations, and more). The latest example-- a bill in AZ that targets "ethnic studies" programs-- or another that requires removing certain teachers "with accents" from classes of students who are learning English--begins to point to trend in that state that seems to be tapping people's basest fears and reactions. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100430/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1885
        >
        > Seems to me if anthropology ever had place or a moment in which its insights and understandings were called for, here it is!
        >
        > Brian

      • Andrew J Petto
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 6:52 AM
          Not just Arizona. How about the Texas Board of Education that wants to reduce the "Hispanic" emphasis in Texas history?

          One member is on video as saying that students should not learn about Oscar Romero because "no one has ever heard of him" and words to the effect of "how important could he be"?

          Yikes

          ------------
          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer