This May be "Old Hat"...

  • bdlqvcc
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
      Just filled out the US Census. Then I saw at least two news items about it, especially focusing on how people can now put down their "real race" (and to top it off, this can include "Turkish, Arabic, Mexican"...etc.)The setup of the form lends itself to people being fairly free-form about self-identification of their "race." Did they consult a social science researcher or two (not to mention an anthropologist and/or a biologist) before setting up this mess, or did they just wing it this time around?
    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        Here is an example from NPR. Part of the report focuses on "Arab Americans" who might choose to mark "other" on the census form, then write in "Arab."

        There is a PBS series "Race, the Power of an Illusion"... should be retitled something like "Race, the Confusion of an Illusion."

        Brian

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
          Sorry. The NPR link is: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125317502

          Brian