FW: AAA seeks Director of Academic Relations (fwd)
- -----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Jarvis [SMTP:hjarvis@...]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 1999 7:56 PM
Subject: AAA seeks Director of Academic Relations (fwd)
Forwarded for AAA. Please send any comments/queries to the address listed
below. - Hugh
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:50:46 -0400
From: Mara Greengrass <MGREENGR@... <mailto:MGREENGR@...> >
Subject: AAA seeks Director of Academic Relations
All questions should go to Frank Medina <fmedina@...
Title: Director of Academic Relations
Reports To: Executive Director
General Responsibilities: This position is responsible for managing
the academic information and survey research, professional employment,
academic department services and minority services activities of the
American Anthropological Association.
1. Monitor and report to the AAA membership in the Anthropology
Newsletter, the AAA website and other means on trends in higher education,
the social sciences and anthropology.
2. Monitor and report to the AAA membership in the Anthropology
Newsletter, the AAA website and other means on grants and other financial
support for anthropological research and fieldwork.
3. Manage AAA's biennial surveys of anthropology departments and PhD
graduates, author various publications reporting on survey results, and
explore additional opportunities for AAA data collection and reporting.
4. Provide statistical, comparative and other information to graduate
and undergraduate anthropology departments and programs, graduate schools
and college and university administrators on matters relating to department
reviews; department budgets and finances; faculty positions, hiring,
salaries and other personnel matters; departmental support policies; student
financial support; and other matters.
5. Provide information to anthropology faculty and students on
financial support resources; fieldwork and internship opportunities; career
development matters; presentation and publishing opportunities; curricula,
course modules, bibliographies and other teaching materials; and other
6. Development of a new series of practical, career enhancing
publications and/or other information products for anthropologists on
subjects such as locating field research opportunities, conducting job
searches, applying for fellowship and scholarship assistance, writing and
7. Manage and develop AAA's Department Services Program, including
regularly providing information to departments, organizing and maintenance
of the academic department listserve, organizing department events and
managing the placement service conducted at the AAA annual meeting,
maintaining program records, invoicing and marketing the Department Services
8. Supervise, manage and develop AAA's employment advertising services
activities, including those in the Anthropology Newsletter and on the AAA
9. Manage the AAA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program.
10. Maintain the Minority CV Database, and respond to requests for
information on individuals listed in the database.
11. Develop annual budgets and manage both revenues and expenditures on
an ongoing basis.
12. Supervise and manage other AAA personnel as required.
13. Provide information, support and assistance to AAA committees, task
forces or advisory bodies as assigned.
PhD in anthropology is essential. Must be able to demonstrate commitment to
four fields, academic and practicing anthropology.
Experience in program and process management essential. Experience in
higher education administration preferred.
Position requires creativity, strong initiative, organizational skill,
problem solving and disciplined follow through . Ability to supervise and
manage other staff is essential.
Demonstrated experience in database management, survey research and
statistical analysis required.
Must have excellent research, oral and writing communications skills.
Requires excellent interpersonal skills. Collaborative, team oriented work
American Anthropological Association
4350 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 640
Arlington, VA 22203-1620
Attn: Director of Administration and Finance
or fmedina@... <mailto:fmedina@...>
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the command<<<<<<
>>>>>> UNSUB ANTHRO-L to LISTSERV@...<mailto:LISTSERV@...> . <<<<<<