twitter, sandwiches, and Florida

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 3:54 PM
      I find the day-long postings on SACC-L about sandwiches rather amusing.

      I get so much flak for doing the Twitter thing, because....apparently according to some SACC'ers, most of what is on Twitter nobody cares about, such as what they are eating for breakfast.

      Then today, I am inundated with menu selections for the Friday lunch at SACCfest. By some of those very same people who give me flak. Now, by following SACC-L I know who is having turkey, and who is having ham; who is having roast beef and who is hoping tuna; and who wants aeoli and who doesn't. Sheesh.

      I'm having turkey, but I'm not putting that on Twitter.

      Capilano closed down for the duration of the Winter Olympics. So, I went to Florida. Florida was interesting. I'm not a big fan of theme parks, but I did enjoy a day at Cocoa Beach. I like drinking beer on the beach and listening to loud rock and roll. The most interesting part of Florida for me was the discovery of entire communities of old people. Really old people driving on the streets in golf carts. I wonder if anybody has done a study of golf carts as a symbol of status in Florida. Some of them were really decked out, like with mag wheels. Amazing.

      I knew there were a lot of old people in Florida, but not THAT many. I found a lot of old people because I rented a car and drove and kind of got lost a few times. I would take some turns and like find myself in a Twilight Zone episode, or maybe a Monty Python skit. Entire communities of really old people.

      So, one of the nicest things about Florida was that I was relatively young. And thin. In Vancouver, I am an old fat guy. In those hidden parts of Florida, I was young and thin. Nice. I might retire to Florida.

      Bob
    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 4:10 PM
        Bob.... I laughed for a good couple of minutes at this non-twitter
        reflection.... Thanks!

        Brian

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 8:44 PM
          I also find these posting amusing, though I am not sure why people do not just reply to George instead of the whole list. It does perplex me just as it seems to have perplexed Trudeau (the comic writer, not the Canadian PM) when he had Hedley the reporter texting his daily yogurt choice to his 'twits'. But on to your comment about your experience with relativity in Florida- for years, I have kept a group of now retired colleagues as social companions and hold on to them dearly as they still make me the 'young guy', though I now admit that as the years go by, it is harder to tell one chicken neck from another!
          Mark Lewine

[...]

        • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 5:47 AM
            Just another Canucka snowbird among the cottontops!!!! What else is new?

            Dorothy Davis
            Anthropology Department
            UNCG
            Tel- 256-1099

            "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>
            Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
            03/02/2010 06:55 PM
            Please respond to
            SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

            <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
            cc

            Subject
            [SACC-L] twitter, sandwiches, and Florida