Re: [SACC-L] South Dakota House thinks astrology affects climate

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2010
      This reminds me of the time the legislature (it may have been California) passed a resolution declaring that pi is 3.14--period.

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2010
        Make mine tuna.

        Phil

        From: dianne.chidester@ gvltec.edu
        Date: Monday, March 1, 2010 5:01 am

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2010
          Veggie for me, thanks

          > A friend of mine sent this along with his analysis. -- Dianne
          >

          > I'm not making up this bill recently adopted by the South Dakota
          > House
          > of Representatives:
          >
          > http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2010/Bill.aspx?File=HCR1009P.htm
          >
          > After rehashing a few discredited pieces of nonsense presumably
          > gleaned
          > from crank websites or forwarded emails, and even one line lifted
          > verbatim from several anti-evolution bills, they get down to the
          > real
          > comedy. Public schools, they say, should teach students
          >
          > "... That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological,
          > astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics
          > that
          > can effect world weather phenomena ..."
          >
          > The "astrological" howler is obvious enough, but the less-familiar
          > adjective "thermological" is pretty funny as well, since it
          > specifically
          > refers to infrared medical imaging technology.
          >
          > And the authors of this bill want to tell schools how to teach
          > science...
          >
          > The South Dakota House passed the bill 36-30. The Senate, possibly
          > blessed with additional brain cells, helpfully removed the most
          > glaring
          > idiocy from the bill, namely, almost the entire text. This is the
          > abbreviated result:
          >
          > http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2010/Bill.aspx?File=HCR1009S.htm
          >
          > It says, basically, that global warming is a complicated subject
          > obscured by political noise that ought to be taught in a balanced
          > and
          > responsible way,. To which one might add, "And not like those
          > nitwits in
          >
          > the House had in mind."
          >

          > This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
          > recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
          > information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
          > distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
          > recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
          > all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability
          > and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of
          > viruses and malware.

        • Karen Muir
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2010
            One turkey and one roast beef for Muir and companion...
            Thanks

            >>> "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...> 3/1/2010 2:30 PM >>>

            Veggie for me, thanks

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
              George, I'll take the roast beef and Bev would like the Wild Bay Shrimp.
              Thanks,
              Lloyd

              On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:02 AM, grodgers@... wrote:

              > It must be the pure clean air up there..it does something to your brain.
              >
              > As long as I have all of you looking at this email, I want to remind you all that we have now 16 days to our SACCFEST. On Friday the 19th we are having lunch at the DeYoung Museum's cafe. There are a number of sandwich to choose from. Could you please select one and let me know asap what you would like. We told the cafe folks we would let them know one week prior to coming....thanks....george
              >
              > Roast Beef with red onion jam and horseradish aioli
              > Smoke Turkey with provolone and rosemary aioli
              > Black Forest Ham, swiss cheese, bosc pear aioli
              > Tuna Salad with chedder cheese
              > Wild Bay Shrimp,rosted peppers,asparagus,cilantro
              > Veggie-wild mushroom,truffle goat cheese,squash
              >
              > Each sandwich comes with a side salad, big cookie and water. You can purchase coffee, tea, soft drinks and other things directly at the cafe

            • Lynch, Brian M
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                Can I order take-out? I won't be able to make the meetings, but the
                menus sounds great!

                :)

                Brian

                George, I'll take the roast beef and Bev would like the Wild Bay Shrimp.
                Thanks,
                Lloyd

                On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:02 AM, grodgers@... wrote:

                > It must be the pure clean air up there..it does something to your
                brain.

                > As long as I have all of you looking at this email, I want to remind
                you all that we have now 16 days to our SACCFEST. On Friday the 19th we
                are having lunch at the DeYoung Museum's cafe. There are a number of
                sandwich to choose from. Could you please select one and let me know
                asap what you would like. We told the cafe folks we would let them know
                one week prior to coming....thanks....george

                > Roast Beef with red onion jam and horseradish aioli
                > Smoke Turkey with provolone and rosemary aioli
                > Black Forest Ham, swiss cheese, bosc pear aioli
                > Tuna Salad with chedder cheese
                > Wild Bay Shrimp,rosted peppers,asparagus,cilantro
                > Veggie-wild mushroom,truffle goat cheese,squash
                >
                > Each sandwich comes with a side salad, big cookie and water. You can
                purchase coffee, tea, soft drinks and other things directly at the cafe

                Groups Links
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                  George, I've already sent my order (and my husband's and son's orders because they are registered for Friday) directly to your email.

                  Deborah

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Muckle says he will gladly overnight half of his turkey sandwich to you and since Jo won't let me my cookie, I'll sent it along to you as well....geo

                  • grodgers@ohlone.edu
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                      thanks Deborah. There may be a problem with getting the shrimp, please have your husband order a back-up...thanks....geo

                      > George, I've already sent my order (and my husband's and son's
                      > orders because they are registered for Friday) directly to your email.
                      >
                      > Deborah

                    • Lynch, Brian M
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Yum!

                        I knew I had generous colleagues!

                        Brian

                        [SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf

                        <mailto:grodgers%40ohlone.edu> wrote:

                        > > It must be the pure clean air up there..it does something to your
                        > brain.
                        > >
                        > > As long as I have all of you looking at this email, I want to remind
                        > you all that we have now 16 days to our SACCFEST. On Friday the
                        > 19th we
                        > are having lunch at the DeYoung Museum's cafe. There are a number of
                        > sandwich to choose from. Could you please select one and let me know
                        > asap what you would like. We told the cafe folks we would let them
                        > knowone week prior to coming....thanks....george
                        > >
                        > > Roast Beef with red onion jam and horseradish aioli
                        > > Smoke Turkey with provolone and rosemary aioli
                        > > Black Forest Ham, swiss cheese, bosc pear aioli
                        > > Tuna Salad with chedder cheese
                        > > Wild Bay Shrimp,rosted peppers,asparagus,cilantro
                        > > Veggie-wild mushroom,truffle goat cheese,squash
                        > >
                        > > Each sandwich comes with a side salad, big cookie and water. You can
                        > purchase coffee, tea, soft drinks and other things directly at the
                        > cafe> ---- Original Message -----
                        > >
                        > > From: dianne.chidester@...
                        <mailto:dianne.chidester%40gvltec.edu>

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Is this twitter talk?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                            (Husband) Tony's back-up choice is the black forest ham and swiss. Do you think they can do (son) Bryan's request for no aioli on his ham and swiss? If so, then put down "no aioli" for Tony, too. Otherwise, they will take their chances.

                            Thanks.

                            Deborah

                            thanks Deborah. There may be a problem with getting the shrimp, please have your husband order a back-up...thanks....geo

                            > George, I've already sent my order (and my husband's and son's
                            > orders because they are registered for Friday) directly to your email.
                            >
                            > Deborah

                          • Patricia Hamlen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                              No this is dinner talk!

                              From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                              <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                              [mailto:SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                              <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
                              Behalf
                              Of grodgers@... <mailto:grodgers%40ohlone.edu>
                              Muckle says he will gladly overnight half of his turkey sandwich to you
                              and since Jo won't let me my cookie, I'll sent it along to you as
                              well....geo

                              > Can I order take-out? I won't be able to make the meetings, but the
                              > menus sounds great!
                              >
                              > :)
                              >
                              > Brian

                            • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
                                Gail and I will have the roast beef and the wild bay shrimp sandwiches.

                                Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum

                              • Gilliland, Mary
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 3, 2010
                                  George-- pls order tuna for me.

                                  Any possibility of getting just a cheddar cheese on bread for my student? Sort of like the tuna- cheddar minus the tuna? She will come that day and is registered. If this is a hassle or downright impossible she will just have cookie & sides & can order something on her own to go with if needed.

                                  Thanks

                                  Mary K. Gilliland
                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                • grodgers@ohlone.edu
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 3, 2010
                                    OK, I will only use the SACC listserve in a professional manner and will not subject you all to my crazy irreverent self. Working on that premise, the listserve is the only forum I have to communicate to all of you and getting your lunch selections for our field trip falls into that category. For all of you that have ordered shrimp, I'm sorry to say that that item is no longer available. So please email a new selection. I will be ordering our lunches next Monday. If I don't have your order by then I will order Turkey, Ham and Veggie sandwiches for you to choose from. It is now 15 days until SACCFest.......george
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 3, 2010
                                      George, why do I always have egg on my face...I just meant that after
                                      you tell us to send you orders, maybe we could send our orders straight
                                      to you, or even tweet our turkey to you! Frankly, I am trying to lose
                                      weight and reading all of this has doubled my lunch!

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 3, 2010
                                        Mark
                                        I totally agree. Folks my email is grodgers@.... Please email me direct instead of replying to the listserve....geo

                                        > George, why do I always have egg on my face...I just meant that after
                                        > you tell us to send you orders, maybe we could send our orders
                                        > straightto you, or even tweet our turkey to you! Frankly, I am
                                        > trying to lose
                                        > weight and reading all of this has doubled my lunch!

                                      • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 3, 2010
                                          So, again, what were all the options? Not shrimp, but what?
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 4, 2010
                                            George

                                            Being retired, I don't need to worry about being ultra professional.
                                            So with a bit of whimsy, let me continue the stream of unprofessional
                                            sandwich orders. Since the shrimp is no longer available, Gail and I
                                            will each have a roast beef sandwich.

                                            Thanks for all your hard work in putting all this together. The last
                                            minute details can be killers. Hopefully you can relax and enjoy the
                                            SACC Fest you have created.

                                            Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum ><>