Jobs--ugh!!!!

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
      Greetings everyone-it looks that I will not be able to join you in San
      Francisco unless something really fantastic happens between now and then,
      you never know, maybe I'll get a job interview in northern California about
      the same time. Anyway, I have completed 18 job applications (and even got
      one rejection-the HR person was extremely rude, so it's okay). What fun,
      each one of the applications is sort of like an extreme case of
      constipation, sorry for the analogy. I have about 12 more to do before the
      end of February, and I have not even looked in the states of California,
      Texas, Florida, Oregon, and Washington. So I am sure there is something out
      there for me. If any of you are aware of visiting lectureships in your area
      let me know, I personally think teaching in a place for 9-12 months would be
      great and then move on. One does not have to get too involved in academic
      politics which as you know can be very exhausting. Actually, Leatha and I
      would like to travel around North America some more. Anyway, if I do not
      see you have a fun, I know you will and be safe.

      BTW-I am currently reviewing a prospectus for the hotel in Omaha, it looks
      that the meeting will be the week of April 6th. The hotel is the Embassy
      Suites in the Old Market area near the river front, and there is a
      possibility that we will be visiting the Omaha and Winnebago Reservations
      (if I can work out the logistics of that) and have dinner in Elephant Hall
      at the Nebraska State Museum on our last night. I am hoping to keep the
      registration fee the same (no increase) and I have a line on book company,
      two keynote speakers, and possibly an appropriate souvenir (sorry-it won't
      be offensive). I am trying to get as much done as possible this spring as
      we will be moving (hopefully).

      Take care,

      Melvin A. Johnson