Re: [SACC-L] Re: FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
      Easy: Testosterone make people stupid! or, more scientifically,
      testosterone levels are associated with risky behavior and
      underestimating the probability and severity of negative outcomes!

      There is also a peak in serotonin levels in adolescent males that
      declines to "normal" during the 20s. In other mammals, these higher
      levels are associated with risk-taking, displays of prowess, diminished
      judgment, and aggressiveness

      Anj

      Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER wrote:

> [...]
      > wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the
      > injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close
      > he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.
      > >

      > > 6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the
      > counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the
      > man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the
      > clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled,
      > leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from
      > the drawer... $15. [If someone points a gun at you and gives you
      > money, is
      > a crime committed?]
      > >

      > > 7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly. He decided that
      > he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some
      > booze, and run. So he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head
      > at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would-be
      > thief on
      > the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of
      > Plexiglas. The whole event was caught on videotape.
      > >

      > > 8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man
      > grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the
      > woman
      > was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within
      > minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and
      > drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told
      > to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer,
      > that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."
      > >

      > > 9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a
      > Burger King in Ypsilanti, Michigan at 5 A.M., flashed a gun, and demanded
      > cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash
      > register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the
      > clerk
      > said they weren't available for breakfast... The man, frustrated, walked
      > away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]
      > >

      > > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on
      > a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived
      > at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near
      > spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to
      > trying to
      > steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
      > sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press
      > charges
      > saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
      > >

      > > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends
      > and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a
      > distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
      > distant and hope they remain lost.
      > >

      > > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
      PO Box 413
      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
      CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
      fax: 414.229.3926
      ajpetto@...
      http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

      *************
      *************

      -- Pat Conroy
      The Prince of Tides
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
        I think Ashley Montagu explained it years ago in his book, "The Natural Superiority of Women," but you know, Dorothy, we just don't like to talk about that publicly :).

        Lloyd

      • Lynch, Brian M
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
          Some times I wonder if all these scenarios actually happened. For
          example, do a google search on "Darwin Award ice fishing dynamite," and
          read about that example. Could someone actually be that.... lacking in
          foresight should I say?

          Brian

> [...]

          > a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police
          arrived
          > at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home
          near
          > spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to
          trying to
          > steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
          > sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press
          charges
          > saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
          > >

          > > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with
          friends
          > and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a

          > distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
          > distant and hope they remain lost.
          > >

          > > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

          Groups Links
        • Melvin Johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
            Greetings everyone-it looks that I will not be able to join you in San
            Francisco unless something really fantastic happens between now and then,
            you never know, maybe I'll get a job interview in northern California about
            the same time. Anyway, I have completed 18 job applications (and even got
            one rejection-the HR person was extremely rude, so it's okay). What fun,
            each one of the applications is sort of like an extreme case of
            constipation, sorry for the analogy. I have about 12 more to do before the
            end of February, and I have not even looked in the states of California,
            Texas, Florida, Oregon, and Washington. So I am sure there is something out
            there for me. If any of you are aware of visiting lectureships in your area
            let me know, I personally think teaching in a place for 9-12 months would be
            great and then move on. One does not have to get too involved in academic
            politics which as you know can be very exhausting. Actually, Leatha and I
            would like to travel around North America some more. Anyway, if I do not
            see you have a fun, I know you will and be safe.

            BTW-I am currently reviewing a prospectus for the hotel in Omaha, it looks
            that the meeting will be the week of April 6th. The hotel is the Embassy
            Suites in the Old Market area near the river front, and there is a
            possibility that we will be visiting the Omaha and Winnebago Reservations
            (if I can work out the logistics of that) and have dinner in Elephant Hall
            at the Nebraska State Museum on our last night. I am hoping to keep the
            registration fee the same (no increase) and I have a line on book company,
            two keynote speakers, and possibly an appropriate souvenir (sorry-it won't
            be offensive). I am trying to get as much done as possible this spring as
            we will be moving (hopefully).

            Take care,

            Melvin A. Johnson