Re: FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
      ["They walk among us!!!"]   AND, some of them even VOTE!!!
      That's right.  It's perfect for the early lectures.  "No, not 'progress,' but 'process.'  It's obviously a process toward dumbing down -- at least within the Darwin Awards sample."  All kinds of possibilities there, including (1) calling morons "Neanderthals" gives Neanderthals a bad name, and (2) class discussion based on conjectures re. whether Neanderthal extinctions involved devastating sequences of many Neanderthals qualifying for the Darwin Awards!  I can just imagine my classes going ape over this.  With the aid of Gary Larson's opposable thumbs gags, all this might help hold their attention even as far as kinship charts!

      Re: FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!
          Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
          Date: Tue Feb 9, 2010 1:59 am ((PST))

      Thanks, Mark.  These are wonderful!  I'm wiping tears...
      Lloyd

      On Feb 8, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Lewine, Mark wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > 5. An American teenager was in the hospital recovering from serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.
      >

      > 6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer... $15. [If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?]
      >

      > 7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly. He decided that he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of Plexiglas. The whole event was caught on videotape.
      >

      > 8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."
      >

      > 9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti, Michigan at 5 A.M., flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast... The man, frustrated, walked away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]
      >

      > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
      >

      > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are distant and hope they remain lost.
      >

      > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
        I'm downloading to my class website to share right now! Today! Hilarious...

        Mary Kay

      • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
          It's great for gender studies as well. Why are these lists all guys year
          after year?

          Dorothy Davis
          Anthropology Department
          UNCG
          Tel- 256-1099

          George Thomas <broruprecht@...>
          Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
          02/09/2010 12:37 PM
          Please respond to
          SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

          sacc-l@yahoogroups.com
          cc

          Subject
          [SACC-L] Re: FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!

          Date: Tue Feb 9, 2010 1:59 am ((PST))

> [...]

          away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]

          > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on
          a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived
          at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near
          spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to
          steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
          sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges
          saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

          > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends
          and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a
          distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
          distant and hope they remain lost.

          > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

        • Andrew Petto
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
            Easy: Testosterone make people stupid! or, more scientifically,
            testosterone levels are associated with risky behavior and
            underestimating the probability and severity of negative outcomes!

            There is also a peak in serotonin levels in adolescent males that
            declines to "normal" during the 20s. In other mammals, these higher
            levels are associated with risk-taking, displays of prowess, diminished
            judgment, and aggressiveness

            Anj

            Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER wrote:

> [...]
            > away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]
            > >

            > > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on
            > a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived
            > at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near
            > spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to
            > trying to
            > steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
            > sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press
            > charges
            > saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
            > >

            > > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends
            > and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a
            > distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
            > distant and hope they remain lost.
            > >

            > > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer
            Department of Biological Sciences
            University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
            PO Box 413
            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
            CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
            fax: 414.229.3926
            ajpetto@...
            http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

            *************
            *************

            -- Pat Conroy
            The Prince of Tides
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
              I think Ashley Montagu explained it years ago in his book, "The Natural Superiority of Women," but you know, Dorothy, we just don't like to talk about that publicly :).

              Lloyd

            • Lynch, Brian M
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                Some times I wonder if all these scenarios actually happened. For
                example, do a google search on "Darwin Award ice fishing dynamite," and
                read about that example. Could someone actually be that.... lacking in
                foresight should I say?

                Brian

> [...]

                > a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police
                arrived
                > at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home
                near
                > spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to
                trying to
                > steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
                > sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press
                charges
                > saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
                > >

                > > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with
                friends
                > and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a

                > distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
                > distant and hope they remain lost.
                > >

                > > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

                Groups Links
              • Melvin Johnson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
                  Greetings everyone-it looks that I will not be able to join you in San
                  Francisco unless something really fantastic happens between now and then,
                  you never know, maybe I'll get a job interview in northern California about
                  the same time. Anyway, I have completed 18 job applications (and even got
                  one rejection-the HR person was extremely rude, so it's okay). What fun,
                  each one of the applications is sort of like an extreme case of
                  constipation, sorry for the analogy. I have about 12 more to do before the
                  end of February, and I have not even looked in the states of California,
                  Texas, Florida, Oregon, and Washington. So I am sure there is something out
                  there for me. If any of you are aware of visiting lectureships in your area
                  let me know, I personally think teaching in a place for 9-12 months would be
                  great and then move on. One does not have to get too involved in academic
                  politics which as you know can be very exhausting. Actually, Leatha and I
                  would like to travel around North America some more. Anyway, if I do not
                  see you have a fun, I know you will and be safe.

                  BTW-I am currently reviewing a prospectus for the hotel in Omaha, it looks
                  that the meeting will be the week of April 6th. The hotel is the Embassy
                  Suites in the Old Market area near the river front, and there is a
                  possibility that we will be visiting the Omaha and Winnebago Reservations
                  (if I can work out the logistics of that) and have dinner in Elephant Hall
                  at the Nebraska State Museum on our last night. I am hoping to keep the
                  registration fee the same (no increase) and I have a line on book company,
                  two keynote speakers, and possibly an appropriate souvenir (sorry-it won't
                  be offensive). I am trying to get as much done as possible this spring as
                  we will be moving (hopefully).

                  Take care,

                  Melvin A. Johnson