Re: [SACC-L] FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!

  • Kent Morris
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
      ditto...
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Lloyd Miller" <lloyd.miller@...>
      To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:59 AM
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!

      Thanks, Mark. These are wonderful! I'm wiping tears...
      Lloyd

      Groups Links

      database 4849 (20100208) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4849 (20100208) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
        ["They walk among us!!!"]   AND, some of them even VOTE!!!
        That's right.  It's perfect for the early lectures.  "No, not 'progress,' but 'process.'  It's obviously a process toward dumbing down -- at least within the Darwin Awards sample."  All kinds of possibilities there, including (1) calling morons "Neanderthals" gives Neanderthals a bad name, and (2) class discussion based on conjectures re. whether Neanderthal extinctions involved devastating sequences of many Neanderthals qualifying for the Darwin Awards!  I can just imagine my classes going ape over this.  With the aid of Gary Larson's opposable thumbs gags, all this might help hold their attention even as far as kinship charts!

        Re: FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!
            Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
            Date: Tue Feb 9, 2010 1:59 am ((PST))

> [...]

        > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
        >

        > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are distant and hope they remain lost.
        >

        > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

      • Gilliland, Mary
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
          I'm downloading to my class website to share right now! Today! Hilarious...

          Mary Kay

        • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
            It's great for gender studies as well. Why are these lists all guys year
            after year?

            Dorothy Davis
            Anthropology Department
            UNCG
            Tel- 256-1099

            George Thomas <broruprecht@...>
            Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
            02/09/2010 12:37 PM
            Please respond to
            SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

            sacc-l@yahoogroups.com
            cc

            Subject
            [SACC-L] Re: FW: The Darwin Awards - I'm beating you to it!

            Date: Tue Feb 9, 2010 1:59 am ((PST))

> [...]

            away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]

            > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on
            a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived
            at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near
            spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to
            steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
            sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges
            saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

            > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends
            and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a
            distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
            distant and hope they remain lost.

            > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

          • Andrew Petto
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
              Easy: Testosterone make people stupid! or, more scientifically,
              testosterone levels are associated with risky behavior and
              underestimating the probability and severity of negative outcomes!

              There is also a peak in serotonin levels in adolescent males that
              declines to "normal" during the 20s. In other mammals, these higher
              levels are associated with risk-taking, displays of prowess, diminished
              judgment, and aggressiveness

              Anj

              Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER wrote:

> [...]
              > away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]
              > >

              > > 10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on
              > a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived
              > at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near
              > spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to
              > trying to
              > steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
              > sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press
              > charges
              > saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
              > >

              > > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with friends
              > and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a
              > distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
              > distant and hope they remain lost.
              > >

              > > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer
              Department of Biological Sciences
              University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
              PO Box 413
              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
              CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
              fax: 414.229.3926
              ajpetto@...
              http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

              *************
              *************

              -- Pat Conroy
              The Prince of Tides
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                I think Ashley Montagu explained it years ago in his book, "The Natural Superiority of Women," but you know, Dorothy, we just don't like to talk about that publicly :).

                Lloyd

              • Lynch, Brian M
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                  Some times I wonder if all these scenarios actually happened. For
                  example, do a google search on "Darwin Award ice fishing dynamite," and
                  read about that example. Could someone actually be that.... lacking in
                  foresight should I say?

                  Brian

> [...]

                  > a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police
                  arrived
                  > at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home
                  near
                  > spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to
                  trying to
                  > steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's
                  > sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press
                  charges
                  > saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
                  > >

                  > > In the interest of bettering mankind, please share these with
                  friends
                  > and family....unless of course one of these individuals by chance is a

                  > distant relative or long lost friend. In that case, be glad they are
                  > distant and hope they remain lost.
                  > >

                  > > *** Remember.... They walk among us!!!***

                  Groups Links
                • Melvin Johnson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
                    Greetings everyone-it looks that I will not be able to join you in San
                    Francisco unless something really fantastic happens between now and then,
                    you never know, maybe I'll get a job interview in northern California about
                    the same time. Anyway, I have completed 18 job applications (and even got
                    one rejection-the HR person was extremely rude, so it's okay). What fun,
                    each one of the applications is sort of like an extreme case of
                    constipation, sorry for the analogy. I have about 12 more to do before the
                    end of February, and I have not even looked in the states of California,
                    Texas, Florida, Oregon, and Washington. So I am sure there is something out
                    there for me. If any of you are aware of visiting lectureships in your area
                    let me know, I personally think teaching in a place for 9-12 months would be
                    great and then move on. One does not have to get too involved in academic
                    politics which as you know can be very exhausting. Actually, Leatha and I
                    would like to travel around North America some more. Anyway, if I do not
                    see you have a fun, I know you will and be safe.

                    BTW-I am currently reviewing a prospectus for the hotel in Omaha, it looks
                    that the meeting will be the week of April 6th. The hotel is the Embassy
                    Suites in the Old Market area near the river front, and there is a
                    possibility that we will be visiting the Omaha and Winnebago Reservations
                    (if I can work out the logistics of that) and have dinner in Elephant Hall
                    at the Nebraska State Museum on our last night. I am hoping to keep the
                    registration fee the same (no increase) and I have a line on book company,
                    two keynote speakers, and possibly an appropriate souvenir (sorry-it won't
                    be offensive). I am trying to get as much done as possible this spring as
                    we will be moving (hopefully).

                    Take care,

                    Melvin A. Johnson