Re: [SACC-L] Haiti

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2010
      Tony, I'm glad you're safe and I hope your informants and friends are too. Thanks for the FONKOZE site. I've bookmarked it and will send some money.

      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 13, 2010
        My NY relatives tell me the response is amazing and will continue...the
        issue now is whether the Obama admin. will finally break away from the Bush
        policy of isolating Haitian immigrants and act on the policy for emergencies
        by granting Haitian immigrants status and some support.
        > Tony, I'm glad you're safe and I hope your informants and friends are too.
        > Thanks for the FONKOZE site. I've bookmarked it and will send some money.
        >
        > Lloyd
        >

        > On Jan 13, 2010, at 7:33 AM, anthony balzano wrote:
        >
        >> I'm still in NJ -- I'm now scheduled to leave for Port-au-Prince on
        >> January 19th but the situation looks dire, I understand the airport has
        >> been damaged. I have not been able to contact my informants who had
        >> already arrived in Port-au-Prince to meet me at the airport. I received
        >> an e-mail from a pastor in Fond-des-Blancs who has a generator and
        >> satellite dish, he said the valley shook violently.
        >>
        >> There are many organizations raising funds for relief. I personally
        >> recommend FONKOZE (you can google them I believe their site is
        >> www.fonkoze.org), a microbank that benefits the organized poor; and YELE
        >> Haiti Foundation, an organization founded by Wyclef Jean that does a
        >> great many good deeds for Haiti's youth.
        >>
        >> Thanks for your concern.
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >> Tony Balzano

        >> Tony, please let us know whether you are in Haiti now and safe
        >> somewhere...also suggest what individuals might do to help.

        > Groups Links

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 13, 2010
          From anthropologist Barbara Miller's blog, on why Haiti is so poor http://anthropologyworks.com/?p=1070

          Bob
        • Kent Morris
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 13, 2010
            very interesting...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
              Partners In Health is an organization that has been doing great work
              in Haiti for many years.
              It is an organization you can rely upon to direct any relief
              assistance in a way that is most beneficial to the people of Haiti.

              You can donate at:
              http://www.pih.org/home.html

              On Jan 14, 2010, at 12:04 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

              > From anthropologist Barbara Miller's blog, on why Haiti is so poor http://anthropologyworks.com/?p=1070
              >
              > Bob

            • Kip Waldo
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
                There are a lot of good agencies - from what I have heard from people who are connected, little is coordinated.

                The NYTimes has some good multimedia features on their page. Also some good commentary by by Tracy Kidder <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/opinion/14kidder.html?ref=opinion> and Peter Hallward <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/13/our-role-in-haitis-plight>

                kip

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 14, 2010
                  Ann, thanks for this information. PIH is certainly an impressive organization and Tracy Kidder's op ed piece (though not disinterested) is most persuasive.
                  Lloyd