Re: [SACC-L] best jobs?

  • Elizabeth delaPortilla
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2010
      Good one KM

      ________________________________
      From: Kent Morris <km52@...>
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, January 10, 2010 10:12:49 PM
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] best jobs?

      or pot...
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@capilanou. ca>
      To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups. com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:03 PM
      Subject: [SACC-L] best jobs?

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4759 (20100110) __________

      http://www.eset. com

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2010
        Could they have been counting up the number of "instructor" positions on American campuses? We certainly have more "anthropologist" positions than "archaeologist" positions although I wonder if they are lumping in the physicals with the culturals. My other thought was that "anthropology" may appear on more job description requirements than "archaeology." There must be some arbitrary statistical rationale behind this.

        On the other hand, the WSJ mentions physical demands and stress as part of their criteria. Must mean that they think archaeology work is too much hard labor (but at least it is reasonably good exercise). ;)

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
          I'll vouch for archaeological fieldwork having a certain conditioning panache, but I wouldn't sell the aerobic benefits of cultural anthropology short.  The folks who run after Tarahumara kickball runners while holding (and even writing in) clipboards impress me. Just basic watching where you're stepping would be a task. Also, I'm sure paddling an outrigger while trying to keep up with Trobriand Islanders (also writing in a clipboard) on the Kula Ring is no walk in the park.  No wonder none of the anthro jobs ranked #1. There were few Olympic judges on that WSJ committee!  Now that's bias!
          George Thomas

          Re: best jobs?
              Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
              Date: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 pm ((PST))

        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
            but if they are counting up the number of "instructor" jobs they are
            not correlating it with pay- Mike Pavlik

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
              My guess is the shovel bums.  There isn't a comparable position in cultural.

              Pam