best jobs?

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2010
      The 'Wall Street Journal' recently included a ranking of 200 jobs, based on the criteria of income, environment, employment outlook, physical demands, and stress. I didn't see 'college instructor' on the list, but I did see 'Anthropologist" which is ranked 47 and Archaeologist, ranked 50.

      For comparison, the number 1 ranked job is 'Actuary'. Attorney is #80, Lumberjack is 199 and Roustabout closes the list out at 200.

      The Wall St Journal list and subsequent links to more details about the rankings can be found here http://bit.ly/8qSU64

      How come anthropologist is ranked higher than archaeologist? The salaries are about the same; and I would guess that the employment outlook is probably better for archaeologists than anthropologists (the job description in the ranking clearly indicates it is cutlural anthropology they are referring to). It can't be the stress because archaeologists don't get stressed, uless they are running out of beer.

      Bob
    • Kent Morris
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2010
        or pot...
        > The 'Wall Street Journal' recently included a ranking of 200 jobs, based
        > on the criteria of income, environment, employment outlook, physical
        > demands, and stress. I didn't see 'college instructor' on the list, but I
        > did see 'Anthropologist" which is ranked 47 and Archaeologist, ranked 50.
        >
        > For comparison, the number 1 ranked job is 'Actuary'. Attorney is #80,
        > Lumberjack is 199 and Roustabout closes the list out at 200.
        >
        > The Wall St Journal list and subsequent links to more details about the
        > rankings can be found here http://bit.ly/8qSU64
        >
        > How come anthropologist is ranked higher than archaeologist? The salaries
        > are about the same; and I would guess that the employment outlook is
        > probably better for archaeologists than anthropologists (the job
        > description in the ranking clearly indicates it is cutlural anthropology
        > they are referring to). It can't be the stress because archaeologists
        > don't get stressed, uless they are running out of beer.
        >
        > Bob

        > Groups Links

        > signature database 4759 (20100110) __________

        > http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4759 (20100110) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Elizabeth delaPortilla
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2010
          Good one KM

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2010
            Could they have been counting up the number of "instructor" positions on American campuses? We certainly have more "anthropologist" positions than "archaeologist" positions although I wonder if they are lumping in the physicals with the culturals. My other thought was that "anthropology" may appear on more job description requirements than "archaeology." There must be some arbitrary statistical rationale behind this.

            On the other hand, the WSJ mentions physical demands and stress as part of their criteria. Must mean that they think archaeology work is too much hard labor (but at least it is reasonably good exercise). ;)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
              I'll vouch for archaeological fieldwork having a certain conditioning panache, but I wouldn't sell the aerobic benefits of cultural anthropology short.  The folks who run after Tarahumara kickball runners while holding (and even writing in) clipboards impress me. Just basic watching where you're stepping would be a task. Also, I'm sure paddling an outrigger while trying to keep up with Trobriand Islanders (also writing in a clipboard) on the Kula Ring is no walk in the park.  No wonder none of the anthro jobs ranked #1. There were few Olympic judges on that WSJ committee!  Now that's bias!
              George Thomas

              Re: best jobs?
                  Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
                  Date: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 pm ((PST))

            • anthropmor@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
                but if they are counting up the number of "instructor" jobs they are
                not correlating it with pay- Mike Pavlik

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
                  My guess is the shovel bums.  There isn't a comparable position in cultural.

                  Pam