Final Dissertation Message

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2009
      So as of this noon, its done. I even got a button from the graduate school that says
      so "Congratulate Me I finished my DISSERTATION!! UNL Graduate Studies"--I think it
      should also say, "and all I got was this lousy button." I have had a truly
      interesting experience doing this--never in my life did I expect to write a 300+ paper
      in 5-weeks. Maybe they should have a new reality show called "Extreme Term Paper"--we
      could get Rush Limbaugh to host it, that would be fun!!!

      I have to say that the folks at UNL have been there helping me along the way. My dis
      is on the UMI Proquest site, it can be accessed by the title "The Changing Landscape
      of a Rural Region: The effect of the Harry S. Truman Dam and Reservoir in the Osage
      River Basin of Missouri" if you are interested. You can all access it on digital
      commons with the UNL libraries. What fun!!!

      I am not quite sure what to do with my time now, hmmmmm. For the past 17 years I have
      been teaching the equivalent of a full time load and going to school. Now I just have
      to teach, whatever will I do!!!

      Maybe read a book that I want, go to a play or movie with my wife, or out for a
      drink. What possibilities!!! Maybe I should get a real job, such as working in a
      Community College in a rural area, as I am now an expert, yeah right!!! Maybe I
      should become an administrator and boss teachers around, and make life semi-miserable
      for students!!! The possibilties are endless.

      Thanks for hanging in there with me--your support has been fantastic. Have a great
      holiday season and take care.

      Mel

      "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." --Mame Dennis
    • Sydney Hart
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2009
        Me, too! Me, too! I finished my dissertation this quarter as well! It took me more than 5 weeks, though. I've been abd for about a decade--teaching a full time load and being a single mom. Although I live in Chicago, I did all of my class work and exams in California and the degree is from UC Santa Cruz. Mine is in Sociology but I study material culture. It's called "Things from Home: Ethnic Identity and Material Culture in African American and Jewish American Homes" and should be in proquest as well. Should I feel slighted? I didn't get a button!

        Sydney

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2009
          Congrats Sydney--don't feel too slighted about the button, its just the way Cornhuskers
          react to just about everything. I applaud you for also being a single parent through
          this whole thing. I am sure that I would have given up long ago if it had not been for
          the wonderful support and patience of my loving wife, I am truly a very lucky person.
          Mel Johnson

          ------- End of Original Message -------
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2009
            Congratulations to both of you!

            ________________________________
            Me, too! Me, too! I finished my dissertation this quarter as well! It took me more than 5 weeks, though. I've been abd for about a decade--teaching a full time load and being a single mom. Although I live in Chicago, I did all of my class work and exams in California and the degree is from UC Santa Cruz. Mine is in Sociology but I study material culture. It's called "Things from Home: Ethnic Identity and Material Culture in African American and Jewish American Homes" and should be in proquest as well. Should I feel slighted? I didn't get a button!

            Sydney

            >>> "Melvin Johnson" <majohns@...<mailto:majohns%40diodecom.net>> 12/10/09 6:41 PM >>>
            So as of this noon, its done. I even got a button from the graduate school that says
            so "Congratulate Me I finished my DISSERTATION!! UNL Graduate Studies"--I think it
            should also say, "and all I got was this lousy button." I have had a truly
            interesting experience doing this--never in my life did I expect to write a 300+ paper
            in 5-weeks. Maybe they should have a new reality show called "Extreme Term Paper"--we
            could get Rush Limbaugh to host it, that would be fun!!!

            I have to say that the folks at UNL have been there helping me along the way. My dis
            is on the UMI Proquest site, it can be accessed by the title "The Changing Landscape
            of a Rural Region: The effect of the Harry S. Truman Dam and Reservoir in the Osage
            River Basin of Missouri" if you are interested. You can all access it on digital
            commons with the UNL libraries. What fun!!!

            I am not quite sure what to do with my time now, hmmmmm. For the past 17 years I have
            been teaching the equivalent of a full time load and going to school. Now I just have
            to teach, whatever will I do!!!

            Maybe read a book that I want, go to a play or movie with my wife, or out for a
            drink. What possibilities!!! Maybe I should get a real job, such as working in a
            Community College in a rural area, as I am now an expert, yeah right!!! Maybe I
            should become an administrator and boss teachers around, and make life semi-miserable
            for students!!! The possibilties are endless.

            Thanks for hanging in there with me--your support has been fantastic. Have a great
            holiday season and take care.

            Mel

            "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." --Mame Dennis

          • Dianne C
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
              Congratulations Sydney! We'll have lots of reasons to drink--I mean celebrate--at SACCfest!

              Cheers!

              Dianne

              To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
              From: shart9@...
              Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:27:29 -0600

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                Yes, Yes! We should have a reception/toast at SACC-fest to celebrate Mel
                and Sydney and their great accomplishments...

                From: shart9@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:27:29 -0600

                Me, too! Me, too! I finished my dissertation this quarter as well! It took
                me more than 5 weeks, though. I've been abd for about a decade--teaching a
                full time load and being a single mom. Although I live in Chicago, I did all
                of my class work and exams in California and the degree is from UC Santa
                Cruz. Mine is in Sociology but I study material culture. It's called "Things
                from Home: Ethnic Identity and Material Culture in African American and
                Jewish American Homes" and should be in proquest as well. Should I feel
                slighted? I didn't get a button!

                Sydney

                >>> "Melvin Johnson" <majohns@...> 12/10/09 6:41 PM >>>
                So as of this noon, its done. I even got a button from the graduate school
                that says
                so "Congratulate Me I finished my DISSERTATION!! UNL Graduate Studies"--I
                think it
                should also say, "and all I got was this lousy button." I have had a truly
                interesting experience doing this--never in my life did I expect to write a
                300+ paper
                in 5-weeks. Maybe they should have a new reality show called "Extreme Term
                Paper"--we
                could get Rush Limbaugh to host it, that would be fun!!!

                I have to say that the folks at UNL have been there helping me along the
                way. My dis
                is on the UMI Proquest site, it can be accessed by the title "The Changing
                Landscape
                of a Rural Region: The effect of the Harry S. Truman Dam and Reservoir in
                the Osage
                River Basin of Missouri" if you are interested. You can all access it on
                digital
                commons with the UNL libraries. What fun!!!

                I am not quite sure what to do with my time now, hmmmmm. For the past 17
                years I have
                been teaching the equivalent of a full time load and going to school. Now I
                just have
                to teach, whatever will I do!!!

                Maybe read a book that I want, go to a play or movie with my wife, or out
                for a
                drink. What possibilities!!! Maybe I should get a real job, such as working
                in a
                Community College in a rural area, as I am now an expert, yeah right!!!
                Maybe I
                should become an administrator and boss teachers around, and make life
                semi-miserable
                for students!!! The possibilties are endless.

                Thanks for hanging in there with me--your support has been fantastic. Have a
                great
                holiday season and take care.

                Mel

                "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." --Mame
                Dennis

                Groups Links
              • Elizabeth delaPortilla
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                  Many congratulations to the two of you. This is a wonderful accomplishment.  Welcome to the ranks.

                  Elizabeth de la Portilla

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                    Seconded!

                    Dr. Deborah Shepherd