Re: [SACC-L] message for Chuck Ellenbaum

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2009
      An important related problem just uncovered for all teachers of web classes to check: many colleges Blackboard system or networks are blocking web students' emails and sending to spam or junkmail! At my college, this is accounting for many students dropping or flunking with great anger because they sent work for their courses and are not getting through to be credited! Faculty in some cases do not even know that this is happening. I found this out at my college and at the AAA meeting from others! This is the great danger of unmonitored processed education...
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2009
        "At my college, this is accounting for many students dropping or
        flunking with great anger because they sent work for their courses and
        are not getting through to be credited!"

        One way to avoid this is to have students submit assignments through the assignment feature in Blackboard (or your course management system) rather than emailing them directly to you.

        If you do have students email assignments to you - it is a good idea to post an announcement in the announcements area of Blackboard once you have finished grading and returning assignments - this way any students who did not receive the assignment back can let you know - preferably via the open discussion board or by calling you on the phone rather than through the email that apparently did not make it to you!

        It is also a good idea to regularly post announcements in the announcements area so that students who are not receiving emails can be aware of what is going on.

        Just my 2 cents :-)

        Nicole Ives
        Prince George's Community College
        Largo, MD