Fw: ancient city of Pompeii added to Google Street View

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2009

      From TXARCH-L
      Subject: ancient city of Pompeii added to Google Street View
      To: TXARCH-L@...
      Date: Friday, December 4, 2009, 8:30 AM

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8394384.stm

      PS - the 2k KMZ file attached is for the convenience of those who use Google Earth in finding the location to enter Street View; it is the center of the ancient city site.

    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2009
        Of course the attachment didn't translate to the yahoogroup listserver.  Users of Google Earth have probably already toured Pompeii by air. The addition is the "street view" detail.  I've not been familiar with it, since the area in which I worked in 1971, the Mitla, Oaxaca area, is whited-out for some reason -- possibly to prevent unauthorized production of aerial view postcards on-the-cheap, related to Mexico's tourist industry prohibition against taking photos on tripids when visiting ruins.  But maybe it was simply a matter of cataracts afflicting MY computer when attempting to zero in on central Oaxaca.
        Maybe someone among the SACC-ers might know why this is, if indeed it still is.
        But back to Pompeii and Vesuvius, the volcano shows up with amazing clarity on Google Earth, along with the access road, parking lot and trail for hardy hikers who want to look over the rim.  Herculaneum is to the WSW of the volcano, surrounded by a modern suburb that goes by a name translated into modern Italian from the Latin, and Pompeii is to the SSE.
        My biggest recollection of our visit to Pompeii in 1993 is that, after touring the city, I was knocked over by some kind of severe allergy.  It was so severe that, not only did we not stop at Herculaneum, but on our way out of Italy we stayed on the train and didn't visit the Leaning Tower @ Pisa.  I think I recall one of the plaster casts of Pompeii victims giving me the evil eye....
        :-)

            Posted by: "George Thomas" broruprecht@... broruprecht
            Date: Fri Dec 4, 2009 12:20 pm ((PST))

        From TXARCH-L