Re: [SACC-L] Archaeology Question

  • anthony balzano
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
      Thanks.

      >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...> 11/25/2009 07:50 PM >>>
      From what I can tell, RPA became SoPa, both being centered on associations for ethical professional standards: "Established in 1976, SOPA was an association of professional practitioners of archaeology in North America. There were two categories of affiliation: Certified Member, and Certification in one or more areas of emphasis without membership. Before Certification and/or Membership was granted an individual's qualifications were assessed. The basic responsibilities of SOPA were to define professionalism in archaeology, to provide a measure against which to evaluate archaeological recommendations and research, and to furnish a forum for a challenge to such recommendations and research. All Certified Professional Archaeologists, whether Members or not, agreed to adhere to a code of ethics and standards of research performance. SOPA published an annual Directory of Certified Professional Archaeologists and a Newsletter. After 22 years of operation, however, SOPA was wound up and transformed into the Register of Professional Archaeologists." this was taken from the SoPa webpage.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: anthony balzano
      To: Robert Muckle ; Charles Ellenbaum ; Chuck Ellenbaum ; Bob Muckle/H ; Roberg-Lopez Stephanie ; Mark.Lewine@... ; Forrest Smith ; SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:38 AM
      Subject: [SACC-L] Archaeology Question

      I am vetting CV's for Sussex CCC's new archaeology initiative and need the expertise of my sister and brother archaeologists:

      What is the difference in membership in RoPA versus membership in SoPA?

      What is the focus of Landscape Archaeology?

      Is it common for archaeologists to have advance degrees in Public History?

      Is Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, Georgia known for its archaeology program?

      Thanks from a humble cultural anthropologist,
      Tony Balzano

      Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
      Sussex County Community College
      1 College Hill
      Newton, NJ 07461