RE: [SACC-L] When did SACC begin the Five Fields?

  • anthony balzano
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
      We can say that the Four Field Update started sometime BEFORE 1989 and
      by 1992 it has transformed into the Five Field Update.

      >>> "Kaupp, Ann" <kauppa@...> 11/30/2009 12:02 PM >>>
      You’re good. So we could say the updates started in 1989 and be
      safe.

      From: Tim Sullivan <tsullivan@...<mailto:tsullivan%40dcccd.edu>>
      To:
      Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 2:46 PM

      Well, out here in Texas, we have a similar situation but with a new
      twist. While we have had budget cuts and increased enrollments, a new
      funding possibility is currently on the horizon....with a proposal
      from
      our guv. It seems the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is
      receiving some money to help move our graduation rates along. There
      are
      just too many students 'clogging the system.' Guv Perry (this is the
      same guy who shunned some of that DC money, cuz he didn't want no
      strings attached), is praising the new grant and proposing that
      funding
      allocations be divvied out to universities and colleges based on their
      graduaton rates. (Them ain't strings, they're lassos!) Of course, no
      one considers the unintended consequences in terms of increased
      pressure
      for faculty to move them doggies on out and what impact that may have
      on
      grade inflation and academic excellence. In the meantime, here in
      Dallas
      anyway, we are teaching larger sections, maintaining a hiring "chill"
      (not a freeze, mind you), and receiving no travel money. Seems I will
      have to crack open my own piggy bank to make the trip to SACC-fest
      this
      spring.
      Geez, I miss Molly Ivens!! Now, where's that thermostat?
      Tim

      Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      Professor: Anthropology, Sociology, History
      Liberal Arts Division
      Cedar Valley Colllege
      3030 N. Dallas Ave
      Lancaster, Tx. 75134
      972-860-8139
      tsullivan@...<mailto:tsullivan%40dcccd.edu><http://us.mc556.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=tsullivan@...>
      >>> Lloyd Miller
      <lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com><http://us.mc556.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=lloyd.miller@...>>
      11/24/09 2:46 PM >>>
      I thought this information might interest y'all. News specific to
      Iowa
      doesn't often get beyond the state lines (except at caucus times). I
      don't know how typical these increases are of other states.

      Lloyd

      From the Des Moines Register, Tuesday, November 24, 2009

      Enrollment at Iowa community colleges broke the 100,000
      mark
      for the first time this fall.

      Officials link the surge to recession battered unemployed
      workers who want to beef up their resumes.

      Enrollment at the 15 community colleges jumped
      significantly
      among Iowans between 25 and 64 years old, an Iowa Department of
      Education report shows.

      The report also showed a jump in students who are on track
      to transfer to four-year universities. The transfer student head
      count
      jumped by 26 percent to 64,121.

      Overall, 100,736 students enrolled at the community
      colleges, up 14.3 percent in a year. It’s the fastest pace for
      enrollment growth since 1975, education department officials said.

      Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/