Re: [SACC-L] experience the Olympics

  • Rebecca Cramer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2009
      Wanna trade?
      Curling, yum.
      Rebecca

      ==============
      Rebecca Cramer
      missiontosonora@...
      http://rcramer.web.arizona.edu

      --- On Wed, 11/25/09, Bob Muckle <bmuckle@...> wrote:

      From: Bob Muckle <bmuckle@...>
      Subject: [SACC-L] experience the Olympics
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 3:28 PM

      It is raining in Vancouver today, which reminded me that I would like to go somewhere warm in February.

      You see, since the Olympics are coming to Vancouver in February, all the colleges and universities shut down. The organizers claim it so we can go to the events, but the real story is that they want the students to volunteer and need our parking lots to force people to pay for parking.

      So, I have from February 12 - 28th totally free of work obligations. If there is anybody out their in SACC-land who would like to participate in the festivities, maybe you can rent my house, or even better...if you live in a warm weather state (like say....California, or Arizona, or Hawaii), then maybe we could do a swap.

      This may be particularly appealing to those who are retired and can get away in February. But even if you are still supposed to be working, maybe I could cover your classes for you. It would probably be easier for me to impersonate a male instructor, but I could give the Mrs. Doubtfire or Tootsie thing a go.

      Of course, I can't promise that you actually get tickets to the premier events. Not unless, of course, you are a member of the big "Olympic Family" like Coca-Cola or NBC. But some minor events are still available. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the biathalon, which involves cross-country skiing and shooting; or the luge or skeleton which is basically hurling yourself down tunnels of ice. Or maybe curling or figure skating? It is all there. And of course, the biggest hockey tournament in the world.

      Think like an anthropologist. You can turn this into a research project. Study Olympic culture. Study Canadian culture. Party on.

      If you are interested, let me know.