RE: [SACC-L] Suggestions for student/prof expectations

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 2, 2009
      I used Heider's "Seeing Anthropology:..." which comes with a dvd. Some
      of them never quite understand that they should "read" the video when
      reading the chapter. We just watched the entire "Dead Birds" and one
      student wrote, "I wish we could see more films in class." I don't know
      if that's a comment on my lecturing or what!

      n Dianne

      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 20, 2009
        I didn't get a chance earlier to thank everyone for your suggestions. I am incorporating a few ideas for my syllabus, and will also be speaking to them the first day of class about how I managed to get through college despite marriage, two kids, and working.

        Thanks again!

        Monica Bellas

        Cerritos College

        Norwalk, CA

        To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
        From: lloyd.miller@...
        Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:02:34 -0500

        Monica,

        I did almost the identical thing some years ago (I retired in 2000).
        I scolded the entire class for a total of about 15 minutes, then
        walked out, telling them that if they wanted to talk to me, I'd be in
        my office for the rest of the class hour. I guess they were somewhat
        stunned; the few who did come by said as much and something to the
        effect of, "Gosh, we didn't know you cared that much!"

        So in subsequent syllabi, I included a section of what I expected of
        them (courtesy toward me and each other, attentiveness, preparation
        for class--I can't remember it all, but something like if you're not
        going to at least show good student behavior, don't come to class. I
        offered extra credit for good attendance). They could expect from me
        that I would also be prepared for class, that I would grade and return
        to them promptly tests and other assignments. I would show them the
        respect due them and treat them fairly and equitably; again, I can't
        remember all I had, because in later years I changed my message to
        them somewhat, but kept the same intent and spirit.

        I will send you a pdf of several pages of a syllabus by separate email
        because the listserv doesn't accept attachments. One item on it is
        titled, "Some Characteristics of Successful Students" that I got from
        a colleague in psychology. It presents good student behavior to them
        impersonally as a study rather than as a direct exhortation from me to
        them. I'll also send you a pdf of Tom Wayman's delightful poem, "Did
        I Miss Anything?" that we reprinted in SACC Notes, Vol. 12, No. 2 2006
        (in case you didn't save all your issues of SACC Notes in gold-
        embossed, leather-bound volumes). :)

        Lloyd