Re: [SACC-L] Distant Origin - Star Trek Episode/Wiki entry

  • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      What about Enemy Mine?
      I'll always think of Louis Gossett as a reptile rather than a drill
      sargent!
      And the males had the babies....yeah.

      Dorothy Davis
      Anthropology Department
      UNCG
      Tel- 256-1099

      anthropmor@...
      Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      11/02/2009 02:11 PM
      Please respond to
      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

      bmuckle@...
      cc
      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Subject
      [SACC-L] Distant Origin - Star Trek Episode/Wiki entry

      Professor Gegen and his assistant, Veer, two _Voth_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voth) _palaeontologists_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaeontology) , make a shocking find on a
      nearby planet: the skeletal remains of a
      creature whose genome is so closely related to their own that it could
      only
      have evolved on the same planet as the Voth did.
      It is an individual from a technologically advanced species, judging by
      its
      synthetic clothing, a gold and black _Starfleet_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet) uniform with a _Maquis_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maquis_(Star_Trek)) insignia. (The specific
      human is Lieutenant Hogan, killed
      in the earlier episode "_Basics_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basics_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)) .") The
      scientists analyze the bones in their lab. The
      creature was an _endotherm_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm-blooded) ,
      probably a _mammal_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal) , unlike the
      _reptilian_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptile) Voth. Still, the genetic
      similarities intrigue the scientists and they make a dangerous hypothesis,
      one which
      will need strong scientific evidence to convince the dogmatic elders of
      Voth society that their theological explanation for the origin of their
      species is not total truth. The archaeologists surmise that the creature
      in
      their lab evolved on a distant planet, and that the Voth evolved

    • Jo Rainie
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        What I really like about this Star Trek episode is the Grand Council that denounce the scientists because their work challenges Doctrine. At the heart of this story is a society that cannot make the leap to accepting a scientific explanation for the evolution of their species.

        I have been showing this for years in my physical anthro course. It makes for a great discussion.

        Jo