Re: dead celebrities

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2009
      Anthropological interest, Schmanthropological interest.  Now I'm interested only in finding one of those Oetzi bobbleheads for th' tru'k.
      G.T.

      dead celebrities
          Posted by: "Bob Muckle" bmuckle@... canadianarchaeologist
          Date: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 am ((PDT))

      Forbes has now released its annual 'Top 10 Dead Celebrities Earnings.'  Besides the link with popular culture, and the apparent male bias, I don't see much of anthropological interest, except perhaps that it does include Michael Crichton who had a degree in anthropology. Others include Michael Jackson, Yves Saint Laurent, Elvis, Rogers and Hammerstein, Charles Schulz (think Charlie Brown and the gang), Theodor Geisel (think Dr. Seuss), Jimi Hendrix, Aaron Spelling, and Andy Warhol.

      It has got me wondering where King Tut, Lucy (of Australopithecus fame), and Oetzi (the Iceman) would fit, considering that each has led to its own kind of industry, what with museums , touring exhibits, bobbleheads, and outrageous fees for permission to reproduce photos. A 'who to watch' list would have to include Ardipithecus.