Facebook photos

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2009
      Deborah and I have been having a conversation about posting photos on our new Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges Facebook page. There are a number of photos already posted there from the last several SACC-Fests, and a few other photos posted by our "fans."

      Originally, I tagged the photos with names of the people I recognized, which sends a message to those people's Facebook pages if they have them. This is standard practice within Facebook (i.e. everybody does it). However, as an academic organization, maybe we want to operate by a different set of rules than your standard Facebook user. Coming to this conclusion with Deb, I have now removed the photo "tags" from the photos.

      Deb told me that "Facebook claims copyright ownership of absolutely everything that is posted on facebook, so therefore, we lose control of all photos posted there." So the take home message seems to be to abstain from posting anything for which you wouldn't want to lose the copyright.

      Additionally, if you would prefer to keep your face off Facebook, and you have attended meetings in the past four years, feel free to send me a personal email at Ltgonzalez@... and I'll make sure that no photos with your image get posted. (You may also have to send me a photo so I know what you look like.)

      Feedback is welcome.