RE: Mel Johnson & Midwest Meetings

  • Gilliland, Mary
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 5, 2009
      Maybe we can have a "Here's to Dr. Mel" drink or lunch or dinner after one of the group meetings or events in Philly!

      Mary Kay

    • Monica Bellas
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 20, 2009
        I didn't get a chance earlier to thank everyone for your suggestions. I am incorporating a few ideas for my syllabus, and will also be speaking to them the first day of class about how I managed to get through college despite marriage, two kids, and working.

        Thanks again!

        Monica Bellas

        Cerritos College

        Norwalk, CA

        To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
        From: lloyd.miller@...
        Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:02:34 -0500
        Subject: Re: [SACC-L] Suggestions for student/prof expectations

        Monica,

        I did almost the identical thing some years ago (I retired in 2000).
        I scolded the entire class for a total of about 15 minutes, then
        walked out, telling them that if they wanted to talk to me, I'd be in
        my office for the rest of the class hour. I guess they were somewhat
        stunned; the few who did come by said as much and something to the
        effect of, "Gosh, we didn't know you cared that much!"

        So in subsequent syllabi, I included a section of what I expected of
        them (courtesy toward me and each other, attentiveness, preparation
        for class--I can't remember it all, but something like if you're not
        going to at least show good student behavior, don't come to class. I
        offered extra credit for good attendance). They could expect from me
        that I would also be prepared for class, that I would grade and return
        to them promptly tests and other assignments. I would show them the
        respect due them and treat them fairly and equitably; again, I can't
        remember all I had, because in later years I changed my message to
        them somewhat, but kept the same intent and spirit.

        I will send you a pdf of several pages of a syllabus by separate email
        because the listserv doesn't accept attachments. One item on it is
        titled, "Some Characteristics of Successful Students" that I got from
        a colleague in psychology. It presents good student behavior to them
        impersonally as a study rather than as a direct exhortation from me to
        them. I'll also send you a pdf of Tom Wayman's delightful poem, "Did
        I Miss Anything?" that we reprinted in SACC Notes, Vol. 12, No. 2 2006
        (in case you didn't save all your issues of SACC Notes in gold-
        embossed, leather-bound volumes). :)

        Lloyd