yet more archaeo-sensationalism

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009
      Just as I was getting over the archaeo-sensationalism over the discovery of two skeletons at Troy, comes the media frenzy about the discovery of 1500 or more gold and silver artifacts from the 7th century in Great Britain. Now....in itself, this is pretty darn important discovery. But....I wish the popular media never got a hold of the story. The stories I have been reading and seeing on accompanying videos are kind of glorifying the discoverer, who was an amateur looking for loot with a metal detector. So I suppose there will be hordes of people who would normally buy lottery tickets now going out to buy metal detectors, and scouring the landscape looking for their own jackpot. And, of course, the stories tend to re-inforce the notion of archaeology as treasure-hunting.

      If you are interested in learning more about the discovery...

      I imagine it would be pretty easy to find the stories by using google. Or you can get to some links through twitter.com/bobmuckle or twitter.com/CapilanoAnthro

      Bob
    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009
        There you go with that twitter thing again Bob!

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009
          At least - with any luck - they won't damage the find spot too much. I believe that in Britain, all such gold and silver treasure must by law be turned over to the state. The only jackpot they get out of this is their 15 minutes of fame. Of course, it's possible someone might try to circumvent the law, but that would be difficult to achieve. I know that many British archaeologists try instead to recruit the detector fanatics and train them to do the work properly for the local antiquities society. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

          My feeling, when I see these stories, is that maybe I'll get enough students registered in my archaeology class so that it won't be canceled. (Actually, not such a big worry any more.) Guess I'm just jaded.

          Deborah

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009
            I just ran across this info---maybe on a Tweet from Bob? But thought it
            was worth re-mentioning as it might be useful for classes, families,
            individuals (pets and their owners)...

            Saturday is Free Museum Day, sponsored by the Smithsonian. Over 1000
            museums across the US are participating. The Smithsonian has a website
            that gives the details including an admission card, explanation of the
            day, and a Google map to locate sites in your area. Enjoy!

            http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/admission.html

            Brian

            Brian Donohue-Lynch

            Anthropology/Sociology

            Quinebaug Valley Community College

            Danielson, CT 06239

            (860) 412-7255

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009
              From what I saw this morning on ABC News, the story is that the Finder
              will share half the MONEY he gets with the landowner. The media made
              the Finder look like a kind and lucky person, not a pilfering thief.
              Sometimes getting the message out about the nature of the archaeological
              record is like hiking up a cinder cone: 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.
              Some days, it's the opposite!

              ~Pam Ford

              Mt. San Jacinto College where it is only about 100 degrees F today (down
              from 107 on Tuesday)

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 25, 2009
                By "sharing half the money he gets," is this a reference to a reward that was given? I haven't found this story, but I did find that actual Treasure Act 1996 law:
                http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/ukpga_19960024_en_1#pb4-l1g10

                The entire find, in this category, belongs to the Crown, but the Secretary of State can give a reward.

                Deborah

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 25, 2009
                  According to the news article I read today, he and the landowner will each receive half of the value of the find. The article in our local paper stressed that he notified the proper authorities upon finding the hoard, who then instituted a "proper" archaeological dig. They're keeping the location of the find secret, as they are continuing to work on the property.

                  Monica Bellas

                  Cerritos College

                  Norwalk, CA

                  To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 25, 2009
                    I don't recall seeing that anyone has posted the link to the official website for this hoard. It is here:
                    http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/<http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/artefacts/>

                    Now, I'm really impressed by this find.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 26, 2009
                      All this reference to British antiquities laws, crawling with dates in the '90s, '80s and even as hoary and old as the '70s, raises the obvious question: How ancient are the English Common Law and earlier provisions for how "The Crown" handles ancient treasures, hoards and archaeological sites ("Monuments")?  The practice of "rewarding" a lottery-playing "peasant" who finds an ancient Anglo-Saxon hoard quite possibly extends so far back into British history that this mercenary approach to "finds" itself becomes part of the ancient record.  It's laughable when we realize that antiquities laws in the USA are actually contemporaneous with those cited here in "ancient" Britain, and that the 1906 "Antiquities Act" got onto the books on the left side of the pond.
                      From our jaded perspective in the USA, this would be a worthless, moot point, as suburban sprawl etc. steadily eat into our "resource."  Having written on and worked with this strange phenomenon for decades, I'm still at a loss. On a positive note, the British practice of mobilizing metal detector fanatics as volunteer labor, playing off their "pre-existing condition" enthusiasm for finding ancient metal "stuff," is similar to the Texas Archeological Society's practice of welcoming non-professional members and holding them to by-laws.
                      What to do about the journalistic "need" to sensationalize archaeology?  Those clowns draw on a deep well of auld, auld Anglo-Saxon-Celtic-etc. story-telling and embellishment that seems to be increasingly lacking in most other reportage on what's happ'nin'.  Some reporter is pulled to write a feel-good "feature story," and fact-checking is dropped a priority tick or two.  It's hard to accept the sensationalism and distortions they perpetuate, and letters to editors don't seem to do much good.  If we made any headway they'd protest that we're trying to stop first-amendment partying and fun.
                      I'm with Deborah on this. At least the moronic sensationalism encourages higher enrollment in archaeology classes.  Jaded works for me.
                      Meantime. WRITE YER CONGERZMANN!!!
                      George (The Other George!).....

                          Posted by: "Monica Bellas" lady13wind@...

                          Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
                          Date: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:26 pm ((PDT))

[...]

                      Anglo-Saxon discovery
                          Posted by: "Bob Muckle" bmuckle@... canadianarchaeologist
                          Date: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 pm ((PDT))

                      For those interested in the discovery of those 1500 gold and silver items associated with the 7th C Anglo-Saxons, the web site recommended by Deborah Shephard is very good.

                      The web site suggests people using Twitter use the hashtag #staffshoard, when commenting or linking to stories on the find. If you search Twitter for #staffshoard you will find a lot of links to stories on the discovery.