Re: more media bias

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2009
      What's that, Bob?  You say the male and female skeletons weren't DATING?
      Oh my, that does change everything!
      George

      Re: more media bias
          Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
          Date: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:10 pm ((PDT))

      Excellent analysis, Bob.  I suppose one consolation (if there is to be
      one) is that the media folks are disgustingly predictable: they're
      "equal opportunity" sensationalists, and I imagine that US President
      Obama would like to echo your sentiments when he brings a plateful of
      important issues to the table and the media folks want to talk about
      whether he has a valid US birth certificate.
      Lloyd

      On Sep 23, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

      > Popular media outlets have been all over reports this week out of
      > Turkey that archaeologists have discovered skeletal remains of a
      > male and female at Troy. I've been trying to ignore it, but I can't
      > any longer.
      >
      > It is yet another case of media archaeo-sensationalism. This story
      > seems to have all the elements of what makes a good archaeology
      > story in the popular press. It has the setting of a well-know movie
      > (ie. "Troy", with Brad Pitt); it has the tie in with Eurocentrism
      > (with most stories mentioning the initial discovery of Troy by the
      > "German" Henriech Schliemann; correlating it with the Troy described
      > by the Greek" Homer";and the preoccupation with warfare (bodies
      > found near a trench line researchers are trying to correlate with
      > the Trojan War). But there is more, the story focuses on the
      > discovery of human skeletons,which means there are good visuals to
      > accompany the story and feeds the common perception that
      > archaeologists usually dig up skeletons and mummies. The discovery
      > is that of one male and one female, which gives it a love story
      > slant. If that isn't enough, reports indicate the lower portions of
      > the skeletons are missing, which provides the weird or bizarre angle.
      >
      > Some news reports are suggesting that this discovery is challenging
      > our fundamental views of Troy, which of course they are not
      > challenging at all. The skeletons haven't even been dated yet.
      >
      > I surmise that there are at least one thousand more important
      > discoveries in the world of archaeology that occurred in Canada and
      > the United States over the past year that got little or no mention
      > in the popular press.

    • Ann Bragdon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
        Our librarian is asking if this is a useful resource for our school -

        Archaeology in America: An Encyclopedia
        (Hardcover) Alternate Formats
        by Mcmanamon, francis P. (EDT) / Cordell, Linda S. (EDT) / Lightfoot,
        Kent G. (EDT) / Milner, George R. (EDT)

        Any thoughts from the archaeologists out there??

        Ann Bragdon

      • Rob Edwards
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
          I have not seen it but the authors seem first rate. On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:47:15 -0600
          Ann Bragdon <ANNBRAG@...> wrote:

          > Our librarian is asking if this is a useful resource for our school -
          >

          > Archaeology in America: An Encyclopedia
          > (Hardcover) Alternate Formats
          > by Mcmanamon, francis P. (EDT) / Cordell, Linda S. (EDT) / Lightfoot,
          > Kent G. (EDT) / Milner, George R. (EDT)
          >

          > Any thoughts from the archaeologists out there??
          >
          > Ann Bragdon

        • Bob Muckle
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
            Ann,

            Whether it is useful or not, depends on what other kinds of resources you have. I haven't seen the actual encyclopedia but did get quite a bit off the web, including some peeks inside.

            It seems pretty basic, suitable perhaps for a public library or a college library that had a fairly weak collection on archaeology.

            All the authors editors are well-known archaeologists so I assume the "essays on 300 topics" are probably fairly good in terms of substance and writing (but for a general or public, rather than scholarly audience).

            If your archaeology collection is pretty weak then it would probably be useful. It is fairly extensive (almost 1500 pages in 4 volumes) but also quite costly, at $500. If I had $500 to spend on 'Archaeology in America' books I would spend it on other books, starting with 'Archaeology of Native North American' by Dean Snow (2010), which is pretty good and costs less than $50.

            I won't be recommending it to my library, but then again, my library already has a decent collection on archaeology and Native America.

            Bob

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
                    Many thanks!