Re: communicating with students and also H1N1

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
      This is all on the mark in terms of my "special" teaching situation. I haven't heard any talk of H1N1 within the Texas state prison system's college credit program yet, but suspect that it may prove to be a problem. Disruptions, and modern electronic means to deal with them, don't really apply equally in this case. Student-inmates have neither computers nor cellphones, so one spinoff effect is that I miss the up-to-date exposure to all the texting, tweeting, twittering and chirping.  On top of that, the "special" effect of prison lockdowns rather fills in the blanks with results pretty similar to illness disruptions in the real world.  Your accounts of modern, wired young people's attitudes toward remote communication and the need for a sense of relative urgency are more than interesting -- even provocative. The fact that students have a few weeks to get something done is lost on many -- UNTIL they (presumably in rare cases) "enter a prison
      'community'."
      So what can I say but, gee, it's great to follow SACC-L to keep on top of the various 21st Century strategies I'll eventually need to learn!  I'll run some of your comments past my own brain-trust to see if it sticks. Keep up all the emailing, twittering and texting!
      Re. the essay test makeup for missed "objective" tests? I'll have to try that. Grading becomes very much more time-consuming.  Offsetting this problem, even most (not all) of last Spring's excellent students doing "hard time" had real problems translating their oral abilities into written, uh... arbitrary.... uh, structured/systemic symboling....:-)  So that ought to be an incentive not to miss the scheduled test -- coughing, wheezing, sneezing and all.
      GT

         Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
          Date: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:39 pm ((PDT))

      I've had only two cases of H1N1 out of 144 students so far (that I know of), but the flu is only arriving in Minnesota. Since all my courses, even the two that are in the classroom, have an online web site, I'm so far still enforcing my one-week limit for making up quizzes and tests, but I'm asking "seated" students who are quarantined at home if they want to take their quiz or test online so that they can get a grade. This is working for me, but I know that many of you don't have a handy online site to use for back-up. It's a problem.

      A colleague in Psychology says that students in the large intro course sections must either be present for test (all multiple-choice), or they are given an essay test as a make-up. That appears to reduce absences [!] but may result in many more essays to grade this term for the instructors.