planning for the future

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2009
      Over the weekend I attended a talk on planning for retirement. I thought
      I'd share my notes with you. Lloyd is an "easy" one to classify.

      LECTURE ON RETIREMENT BY AUTHOR NANCY SCHLOSSBERG, PH.D.

      SPONSORED BY PALISADES VILLAGE, September 13, 2009

      What to think about when planning to retire:

      Pay attention to your psychological portfolio

      Retirement may bring loss of identity, loss of colleagues and loss of a
      sense of purpose. (Those with a sense of purpose tend to live longer.)

      Change perspective from money to mattering

      How much do you matter to others? If you find you matter you will stay
      in your job and relationships.

      Be aware of enormous options out there

      Different categories of retirees:

      Continuer - does something similar

      Adventurer - does something entirely different

      Searchers - searches for what's next

      Easy Gliders - want no agenda

      Involved Spectators - involved in their professional field but
      from a distance

      Retreaters - can let it go on too long and lead to depression

      Stay Engaged

      Good for mental and physical health and happiness.

      Happiness level - 50% is what you are born with (glass half empty or
      half full); your set point

      10% comes from events of which one has little control over

      40% is based on intentional activity

      Adult life is full of surprises, some bring sadness but others joy and
      fascination.

    • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2009
        I guess I'm mostly a continuer. At least at this time.
        Ellen Johnson