RE: [SACC-L] New Blog Post

  • Lynch, Brian M
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 14, 2009
      Lloyd, Whatever comments you've made in the past have been completely
      made up for by your contribution to important instructions about
      Tweeting-- which I am now sure to steal when I introduce Tweets etc. to
      anyone:

      ...limited to 140 characters... potentially fatal if you do it while
      driving...!

      Thanks!

      Brian

      Brian Donohue-Lynch
      Anthropology/Sociology
      Quinebaug Valley Community College
      Danielson, CT 06239
      (860) 412-7255

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
        http://www.ccanthro.blogspot.com/

        Visit the SACCommentary blog for a new post by Maren Wilson (aka Wanna B. Anthropologist) on some interesting behavior of the Nacirema.

        If you have anything you would like me to post to the blog, please send it to Lagonzal@.... You can also post it yourself if you get admin rights; just send me a note.

        Laura
      • Lynch, Brian M
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
          I would like to take this opportunity with the note about the latest blog post for SACC, to highlight also two "widgets" that are currently on the blog. At the time of our prior discussion about Twitter etc. I took the liberty to create one of the widgets (using Springwidgets, which is free) that served as a reader for any posts on Twitter that might be relevant for our group. As it is a demo of the concept, I wouldn't see it as comprehensive.

          The widget is in fact based on a simple principle: when you send a Tweet, you include in it a specific "tag" (I made up one that seemed pretty safe not to be someone else's-- #SACC_L ). That tag includes a hash mark # and then the set of unique characters that I came up with to identify specific tweets. The widget then goes to Twitter and reads all Tweets that have #SACC_L in them, and displays these in an ongoing active window. As new relevant tweets are added, along with this tag, they continue to be added and scrolled in the widget window.

          That widget is really just a string of code that itself can be cut and pasted into any webpage, and then you have a portable widget for wherever you want that info displayed. This semester I pasted this same code for example into my online(Blackboard) course shell, and now my students can see these active anthropology-related tweets while in their online environment of Blackboard.
          You can get the code by clicking on the link that shows at the bottom of the widget (that says "Get this Widget"!)

          Meanwhile, I have also created a widget using the same code, that reads the otherwise publicly available archives of our SACC_L listserv messages from Yahoo, and displays these as well in the widget window. So if you go to the SACC blog you see the two different widgets, one reading the SACC_L tweets, and one reading the SACC-L listserv.

          Hope this is clear. Once you get the idea of how these things work, the possibilities are exciting.

          If you are in the mood/mode to Twitter, and have things to share that you think fit our discussions in SACC, be sure to include the #SACC_L "hash tag" and your Tweets will join the mix. Meanwhile, if you are on a search for regular, diverse, and interesting Tweets about most if not all of the five fields of anthro, go to Twitter, and do a search on "@bobmuckle" Watch what you come up with!

          Brian

        • lauratgonzalez
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2009
            I'd like to thank Brian who has kindly agreed to be SACC's Twitter guide. Although he's way ahead of me on, well, pretty much everything, he's creating a Twitter "twibe" for us. This is separate fromt eh widget that he's created and posted on the blog.

            Basic instructions: To signal that your tweet would be interesting to other SACC-ers, include #SACC_L in the message of your tweet. To read SACC tweets, go to the search box and type in #SACC_L.

            Laura

            --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Lynch, Brian M" <blynch@...> wrote:

            > I would like to take this opportunity with the note about the latest blog post for SACC, to highlight also two "widgets" that are currently on the blog. At the time of our prior discussion about Twitter etc. I took the liberty to create one of the widgets (using Springwidgets, which is free) that served as a reader for any posts on Twitter that might be relevant for our group. As it is a demo of the concept, I wouldn't see it as comprehensive.
            >
            > The widget is in fact based on a simple principle: when you send a Tweet, you include in it a specific "tag" (I made up one that seemed pretty safe not to be someone else's-- #SACC_L ). That tag includes a hash mark # and then the set of unique characters that I came up with to identify specific tweets. The widget then goes to Twitter and reads all Tweets that have #SACC_L in them, and displays these in an ongoing active window. As new relevant tweets are added, along with this tag, they continue to be added and scrolled in the widget window.
            >
            > That widget is really just a string of code that itself can be cut and pasted into any webpage, and then you have a portable widget for wherever you want that info displayed. This semester I pasted this same code for example into my online(Blackboard) course shell, and now my students can see these active anthropology-related tweets while in their online environment of Blackboard.
            > You can get the code by clicking on the link that shows at the bottom of the widget (that says "Get this Widget"!)
            >
            > Meanwhile, I have also created a widget using the same code, that reads the otherwise publicly available archives of our SACC_L listserv messages from Yahoo, and displays these as well in the widget window. So if you go to the SACC blog you see the two different widgets, one reading the SACC_L tweets, and one reading the SACC-L listserv.
            >
            > Hope this is clear. Once you get the idea of how these things work, the possibilities are exciting.
            >
            > If you are in the mood/mode to Twitter, and have things to share that you think fit our discussions in SACC, be sure to include the #SACC_L "hash tag" and your Tweets will join the mix. Meanwhile, if you are on a search for regular, diverse, and interesting Tweets about most if not all of the five fields of anthro, go to Twitter, and do a search on "@bobmuckle" Watch what you come up with!
            >
            > Brian

          • lauratgonzalez
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 13, 2009
              Our inimitable friend and colleague, Dennis Kellogg, has written another rant, this time on the topic of Jury Duty. You can read it at http://www.ccanthro.blogspot.com/.