4(5?)-Fields Textbook

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      We are expanding our anthropology offerings! Yippee!

      I know folks have made suggestions in the past, but I didn't write them
      down. Which texts do you recommend for a 4(5?)-Fields survey course?

      Thanks!

      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

      Anthropology & Sociology

      co-Advisor, Alpha Zeta Sigma/Phi Theta Kappa

      Greenville Technical College

      508 S. Pleasantburg Dr.

      Greenville, SC 29607

    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
        Will put my 2 cents in here. Over the years I have been trying to do things that are sensitive to the budget limits of our students but that don't sacrifice quality in teaching/learning resources. I have even contemplated completing a full online text/outline that would in effect be free (I started this long before the Ivy Leagues began to talk about open sourcing their resources). It seems to me that $100 to 130 textbooks are way over priced, and reflect an unconscionable burden on our financially strapped community college students. In this age of electronic access, there has to be a better...open source...way.

        Meanwhile, a quality text that is teachable and that stands the test of time is Alice Beck Kehoe's *Humans*... and though it is over 10 years old, I find that it can serve as a good platform for a solid intro to the five fields. Similarly, while some may steer away from certain ethnographic videos for supplemental course materials, it seems to me that even the "crappiest" pieces can be great "teachable moments." (Saying that, I wouldn't put Alice's book in this light--- I think it is in fact quite a solid work, and if anything is dated in it, that in itself can serve to generate critical learning in a class.)

        Brian