RE: [SACC-L] Tweeting

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
      Mark, Mark, Mark,...

      I admit the Twitter lingo is somewhat embarassing, but the technology is brilliant.

      I've been using it almost exclusively for news gathering, and its wonderful. It is saving me time, and has expanded my resource base phenomenally. And it is putting me in touch with anthropologists and science writers around the world in real-time or almost real-time. I'm just starting now to ...wait for it.....re-tweet links to articles and such so those who "follow" me so they can look at them if they want. I just re-tweeted a link to an article suggesting H. floresiensis was the first hominin to walk out of Africa.

      Twitter is a tool. I really like Brian's analogy of the pencil. Twitter is much, much more than a kind of social networking media.

      Bob

      >>> "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...> 08/19/09 8:42 PM >>>
      Though I have experienced twits, called various security officers, middle managers and college presidents "twit" when dealing with mildly annoying behaviors designed to keep me from actually doing something productive, I would never admit to anything that has to be called a "tweet"...and in our little boys school, I just hate to thing of what would happen to a poor soul who was found "tweeting"...come on, Bob, how can you possible "tweet" anything archaeological...just imagine the tool typology. I mean, are you not forced to limit "tweets" to breakfast food commentary, observations about pets? If they wanted you to actually communicate something of any value, would they not have called it something else? You twits!#%*

      Mark Lewine

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2009
        Bob and any others with twit experience...as I am doing more webcourses
        in my last year, I am hoping to find the easiest and most productive way
        to get students to learn from interaction with each other and with
        current websource and web-based materials and researchers. I have tried
        text-linked sources, Blackboard Discussion Boards, wiki networks, and
        was about to try Facebook group set-up by a student...how is Twitter
        better than the networks just mentioned?

        I admit the Twitter lingo is somewhat embarassing, but the technology is
        brilliant.

        I've been using it almost exclusively for news gathering, and its
        wonderful. It is saving me time, and has expanded my resource base
        phenomenally. And it is putting me in touch with anthropologists and
        science writers around the world in real-time or almost real-time. I'm
        just starting now to ...wait for it.....re-tweet links to articles and
        such so those who "follow" me so they can look at them if they want. I
        just re-tweeted a link to an article suggesting H. floresiensis was the
        first hominin to walk out of Africa.

        Twitter is a tool. I really like Brian's analogy of the pencil. Twitter
        is much, much more than a kind of social networking media.

        Bob

        >>> "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...
        <mailto:mark.lewine%40tri-c.edu> > 08/19/09 8:42 PM >>>

        --
        Thomas B. Stevenson
        5210 E. Baker Street

        +1.740.605.0115 (Mobile)
        +1.520.777.4505 (Home/Fax)
        email: tstevens@... <mailto:tstevens%40ee.net>

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 21, 2009
          Let it be said that although Bob is a twitter evangelist, he has no experience with getting students to interact on-line. I can get students engaged in a classroom, but haven't even tried to engage them as a group on-line. I don't plan on using it as such. I think I will use it for some of my classes, but more as a vehicle for providing course updates and links to relevant media, than for discussion. I will not require students to use Twitter. At least not yet.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 21, 2009
            Hello,

            I've been thinking about how to use Twitter to increase student interaction
            and engagement through social networking technologies (Twitter, Facebook,
            blogging, etc) for about a year now and finally just decided to go for it in
            an experimental way for the upcoming semester in one of my classes.

            For what it's worth, I decided against requiring the use of Twitter by
            students because A) there's not much they can say about the class materials
            within the 140 character limit (though it would be entertaining to see them
            try) and B) some students may not want to join Twitter and deal with having
            an account. As someone here mentioned a while back, when you join Twitter
            random people often start "following" you, for advertising or whatever
            purposes and it can seem intrusive or irritating to have to block people or
            max out your privacy settings. I don't want to require that my students join
            a social networking site because it seems to raise privacy and security
            issues that are just a little outside my comfort zone.

            What I AM going to do is require that students post to a class blog
            (WordPress) either by joining the blog site as contributors if they feel OK
            with it, or e-mailing me their entries if they prefer. On the blog itself,
            there will be a widget that displays tweets from a class Twitter account.
            Students will be free to tweet to the class Twitter account if they are
            already Twitter members and I will broadcast news, links, etc periodically.
            Students who do not wish to join Twitter will be able to read tweets that
            way without actually joining Twitter.

            I would be really happy to hear from anyone who has experimented with class
            blogging or twittering to know more about how you made it work!

            Nina

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 21, 2009
              I have a class blog.  I post blogged lectures on it.  It was very useful when we went through Hurricane Ike and lost 3 weeks of class. I was able to deliver some materials through the blog.  I opened my blog on Blogger like my Teaching Anthropology blog but I did not set the class blog to be pinged by Google.  You have to type the blog address into the address line to get there or follow a link.  I put the link on the syllabus and in my Blackboard sites.  I seldom get posted comments on it but students assure me that it is useful.  I, also, use the materials in my DL courses.  I find the technology a useful supplement.  It is simple to embed clips and links.  Much simpler than Blackboard and I can reach students in all classes.  I haven't linked it to Twitter, probably, because most of my students aren't very interested in Twitter at this time.

              I also maintain a Facebook account and allow my students to friend me.  The majority do not.  I have found that former students find you there.  I have a few who have grown up, got jobs, and "friended me".  It is a lovely experience to discover them again. It was an unforeseen benefit of Facebook.

              Pam
              Pamthropologist

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 21, 2009
                Just to clarify, I use the blog to introduce ideas and have the students in my DL classes read them and watch the clips/follow the links that I post there. They, then, discuss the introduced issues in Blackboard on our class Discussion Boards.  These discussion posts are graded.  It has worked well this past year and I am continuing it this year.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 23, 2009
                  Nina, Have you given any thought to the use of "hash tags" in the process? Both the addition of such tags in messages, and the ability to search using specific tags, greatly enhance the usefulness of Twitter--and I would suggest also make the 140 char. limit less of a problem.

                  There are also several other Twitter-related services that enable people to actually share pictures and other things through Twitter, which further expand its usefulness.

                  Brian