SACC WEBSITE LIST and archaeol texts

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2009
      Bob M:
      (plus any & all interested): I ran through your SACC website list of texts for archaeology. It's quite comprehensive. I'll have to look for your text.
      I haven't paid much attention to beginning texts since Hole and Heizer 1969, a "Beginner's Guide" by one Louis Brennan, 1973, in that time frame.
      Central Texas College uses T. Douglas Price, 2006, "Principles of Archaeology." Have not rec'd my copy from them yet, but Barnes and Noble provides a table of contents. This $100+ text appears to cover all bases, and it would be a shame to be in my students' shoes, having to return the texts after the class is done, high-school style. (A special college-ed case covered in great depth elsewhere)....
      The text looks like it'll be a great shelf reference. Price collaborates with some of the people I met from the late 60s-early 70s Oaxaca crowd, and from the looks of the table of contents alone I'll be hard pressed to hurry an intro class through all the material this tome covers. The upside is, as always, I'll have no trouble filling the time.
      I see you have listed another source which Price co-authored in 2008. Have you encountered the 2006 text anywhere? What is your impression?

          Date: Wed Aug 5, 2009 3:04 pm ((PDT))

      Dear SACC Members,

      Check out the new SACC website at  http://saccweb.net/
      <http://saccweb.net/>

    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2009
        I know the list I created in 2006 needs updating. I've been waiting to see if it was going to make it over to the new SACC web site. I'll put "updating the list" on my list of things to do. I'm working from home right now and have no intention of going in to my college office where all my books are, but I do recall seeing Price's 2006 text. My recollection was that it was probably the first mainstream intro to archaeology text that had color photos, which was reflected in the cost. I also recall that it was quite comprehensive and remember thinkking that if asked for recommendations of a comprehensive text, I'd be inclined to recommend the Renfrew and Bahn one. (I don't think its on the list because its too recent, but there is a fairly new brief edition of Renfrew and Bahn as well, but I didn't like it much). As for the source Price co-authored in 2008, ...I'm not sure if that is a typo (since I made the list in 2006), and haven't checked. But he did co-author 'Images of the Past' and 'Fugawiland' I think. I'm not a big fan of either of those.

        Of course, I still like the two books I did.....'Introducing Archaeology' and 'Reading Archaeology', which were originally published by Broadview Press but are now published by the University of Toronto Press. You can check out the table of contents for each on the publisher's web site .... utphighereducation.com/home.php?cat=117. Each book costs about $45 and its less expensive if they are packaged together. You might also get some feedback on or off-list from SACC people. Both books have been reviewed for the publisher by SACC members and some actually use them.

        Bob

        Date: Wed Aug 5, 2009 3:04 pm ((PDT))

        Dear SACC Members,