RE: [SACC-L] Re: bio anth resources

  • Monica Bellas
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
      A couple that I show are "Excavation of the La Salle," which is a good example of historic archaeology. It's the excavation of a Spanish ship off the coast of Texas.

      Another one, which I know is fairly controversial, but good for demonstrating how the scientific method works, is "Cannibalism in the Canyon." Turner's work on trying to test the hypothesis that Puebloan ancestors in the American SW may have practiced cannibalism.

      Monica Bellas

      Cerritos College

      Norwalk, CA

      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting... "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"

      To: sacc-l@yahoogroups.com
      From: broruprecht@...
      Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:22:05 -0700
      Subject: [SACC-L] Re: bio anth resources

      Bob and others- Getting back to archaeology, what DVDs can be recommended for an intro course? This Fall I appear to have lined up the teaching of intro to archaeology and, needless to say, in a prison-ed setting, field trips are frowned upon. Even computer resources are discouraged. I honestly don't recall any films shown in archaeology classes way back in ancient times.
      George Thomas

      Re: bio anth resources
      Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... ajpetto
      Date: Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:38 pm ((PDT))

      You might also have students link to the Becoming Human webite
      (becominghuman.org).

      It is not something you would show in class (except maybe to intro the
      site and show some navigation hints), but it is something that students
      could explore as an out-of-class assignment.

      Anj

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 23, 2009
        by the way, members get some of their costs to AAA covered.