Re: [SACC-L] Re: bio anth resources

  • Katrina Worley
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
      Some of the Scientific American Frontiers episodes are archaeological
      in nature.... check out "Coming Into America" and "The Secret Canyon".
      You watch them online, or you can buy the DVDs from PBS, and some
      episodes are available for a couple of bucks through the iTunes store.
      Also, there's the "Time Team America" series on PBS... There are five
      episodes so far, including one on Range Creek Canyon (the same canyon
      that's the subject of SAFs "the Secret Canyon"), one on Fort Raleigh/
      Roanoak, and one on the Topper site. As with the Scientific American
      Frontiers episodes, you can watch them online or buy the DVDs. I'm
      waiting for the Time Team series to show up on iTunes, since I'd
      rather pay a couple of bucks per episode than $20-25, and the iTunes
      files or DVDs are easier to deal with in the classroom than trying to
      watch them online. BTW- if you've used iTunes, check out what's
      available in the iTunes store... there are episodes of a number of
      PBS, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc., series available for a
      couple of bucks each, so you aren't out a bunch of money buying some
      of these things on the chance that they might have something useful.

      Katrina

    • Monica Bellas
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
        A couple that I show are "Excavation of the La Salle," which is a good example of historic archaeology. It's the excavation of a Spanish ship off the coast of Texas.

        Another one, which I know is fairly controversial, but good for demonstrating how the scientific method works, is "Cannibalism in the Canyon." Turner's work on trying to test the hypothesis that Puebloan ancestors in the American SW may have practiced cannibalism.

        Monica Bellas

        Cerritos College

        Norwalk, CA

        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting... "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"

        To: sacc-l@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:38 pm ((PDT))

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 23, 2009
          by the way, members get some of their costs to AAA covered.