Re: [SACC-L] bio anth resources

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
      You might also have students link to the Becoming Human webite
      (becominghuman.org).

      It is not something you would show in class (except maybe to intro the
      site and show some navigation hints), but it is something that students
      could explore as an out-of-class assignment.

      Anj

      Katrina Worley wrote:

      > If you like to show films/videos/DVDs in class, here's an option for
      > the online environment.... PBS has a good number of their programs
      > available online, and more are available all the time. You can watch
      > full episodes of Nova and Scientific American Frontiers. If you go to
      > the Scientific American Frontiers website there are links not only to
      > the programs but also to interactive activities and teacher materials.
      > Some materials are aimed at younger children, but some are adaptable
      > to intro courses at the college level. One of my favorite programs is
      > the Nova special on the Human Genome Project. One of the nice things
      > about it is that it's broken into short bits that can be viewed on
      > their own, or as part of the larger program. I find that I actually
      > prefer watching these programs online, since there aren't any breaks
      > for advertising. Of course, it helps to have a comparatively fast
      > connection.
      >
      > The URL for the entire PBS online video collection is:
      > http://video.pbs.org/ <http://video.pbs.org/>
      >
      > Scientific American Frontiers: http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html
      > <http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html>
      >
      > the Nova program on the Human Genome Project:
      > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html
      > <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html>
      >
      > Also check out:
      > http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651
      > <http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651>
      >
      > Katrina
      >
      > On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:
      >
      > > I'm searching for good on-line resources to direct students to for a
      > > hybrid-online "Intro to Biological Anthropology" course I am
      > > developing and will start teaching in September.
      > >
      > > I've come across a few useful sites so far. Dennis O'Neil at Palomar
      > > has put together a great series of on-line tutorials for the course
      > > (anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm). Chuck Smith at
      > > Cabrillo has what appears to be agreat syllabus for the course on-
      > > line, with many links to articles and videos on-line.
      > >
      > > And I'm following Kate Wong on Twitter, who provides links to some
      > > articles she writes for Scientific American.
      > >
      > > I welcome further suggestions.
      > >
      > > Bob

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
      PO Box 413
      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
      414.229.6784
      fax: 414.229.3926
      ajpetto@...
      http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

      *************
      http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
        Yep- I forgot about that one. I use it in my online class every
        semester.

      • mep1mep
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
          If you choose to use any of the Walking with Cavemen bits, the BBC has a nice support site for it.  It explains the data they used to construct the vignettes.

          Pam

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
            Forgot:  have you seen the UC-Berkeley site on evolution?

            http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

            Pam

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
              Bob,

              I'm finishing up my third time through with my online class. Some of the web sources I use are in the attachment. I just went through and copied them out. Let me know if any of the hyperlinks don't work. I also videotaped a minilecture on the primate skull that turned out fairly well. I am currently looking for additional web sources and and plan to do some mini-videos. This is a total online course, not a hybrid.

              Phil

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                Bob and others- Getting back to archaeology, what DVDs can be recommended for an intro course? This Fall I appear to have lined up the teaching of intro to archaeology and, needless to say, in a prison-ed setting, field trips are frowned upon. Even computer resources are discouraged. I honestly don't recall any films shown in archaeology classes way back in ancient times.
                George Thomas

                Re: bio anth resources
                    Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... ajpetto
                    Date: Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:38 pm ((PDT))

                Katrina Worley wrote:

                > If you like to show films/videos/DVDs in class, here's an option for
                > the online environment.... PBS has a good number of their programs
                > available online, and more are available all the time. You can watch
                > full episodes of Nova and Scientific American Frontiers. If you go to
                > the Scientific American Frontiers website there are links not only to
                > the programs but also to interactive activities and teacher materials.
                > Some materials are aimed at younger children, but some are adaptable
                > to intro courses at the college level. One of my favorite programs is
                > the Nova special on the Human Genome Project. One of the nice things
                > about it is that it's broken into short bits that can be viewed on
                > their own, or as part of the larger program. I find that I actually
                > prefer watching these programs online, since there aren't any breaks
                > for advertising. Of course, it helps to have a comparatively fast
                > connection.
                >
                > The URL for the entire PBS online video collection is:
                > http://video.pbs.org/ <http://video.pbs.org/>
                >
                > Scientific American Frontiers: http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html
                > <http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html>
                >
                > the Nova program on the Human Genome Project:
                > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html
                > <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html>
                >
                > Also check out:
                > http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651
                > <http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651>
                >
                > Katrina
                >
                > On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:
                >
                > > I'm searching for good on-line resources to direct students to for a
                > > hybrid-online "Intro to Biological Anthropology" course I am
                > > developing and will start teaching in September.
                > >
                > > I've come across a few useful sites so far. Dennis O'Neil at Palomar
                > > has put together a great series of on-line tutorials for the course
                > > (anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm). Chuck Smith at
                > > Cabrillo has what appears to be agreat syllabus for the course on-
                > > line, with many links to articles and videos on-line.
                > >
                > > And I'm following Kate Wong on Twitter, who provides links to some
                > > articles she writes for Scientific American.
                > >
                > > I welcome further suggestions.
                > >
                > > Bob

              • anthony balzano
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                  The entire exhibit of the Spitzer Hall of Human Origins at the American Museum of Natural History is at:

                  http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/humanorigins/

                  My intro students have benefitted from it since it opened.

                  Regards,
                  Tony Balzano

                  Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
                  Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
                  Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                  Sussex County College College
                  1 College Hill
                  Newton, NJ 07461
                  973-300-2177
                • Katrina Worley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Some of the Scientific American Frontiers episodes are archaeological
                    in nature.... check out "Coming Into America" and "The Secret Canyon".
                    You watch them online, or you can buy the DVDs from PBS, and some
                    episodes are available for a couple of bucks through the iTunes store.
                    Also, there's the "Time Team America" series on PBS... There are five
                    episodes so far, including one on Range Creek Canyon (the same canyon
                    that's the subject of SAFs "the Secret Canyon"), one on Fort Raleigh/
                    Roanoak, and one on the Topper site. As with the Scientific American
                    Frontiers episodes, you can watch them online or buy the DVDs. I'm
                    waiting for the Time Team series to show up on iTunes, since I'd
                    rather pay a couple of bucks per episode than $20-25, and the iTunes
                    files or DVDs are easier to deal with in the classroom than trying to
                    watch them online. BTW- if you've used iTunes, check out what's
                    available in the iTunes store... there are episodes of a number of
                    PBS, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc., series available for a
                    couple of bucks each, so you aren't out a bunch of money buying some
                    of these things on the chance that they might have something useful.

                    Katrina

                  • Monica Bellas
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                      A couple that I show are "Excavation of the La Salle," which is a good example of historic archaeology. It's the excavation of a Spanish ship off the coast of Texas.

                      Another one, which I know is fairly controversial, but good for demonstrating how the scientific method works, is "Cannibalism in the Canyon." Turner's work on trying to test the hypothesis that Puebloan ancestors in the American SW may have practiced cannibalism.

                      Monica Bellas

                      Cerritos College

                      Norwalk, CA

                      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting... "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"

                      To: sacc-l@yahoogroups.com

                      Date: Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:38 pm ((PDT))