bio anth resources

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
      I'm searching for good on-line resources to direct students to for a hybrid-online "Intro to Biological Anthropology" course I am developing and will start teaching in September.

      I've come across a few useful sites so far. Dennis O'Neil at Palomar has put together a great series of on-line tutorials for the course (anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm). Chuck Smith at Cabrillo has what appears to be agreat syllabus for the course on-line, with many links to articles and videos on-line.

      And I'm following Kate Wong on Twitter, who provides links to some articles she writes for Scientific American.

      I welcome further suggestions.

      Bob
    • Katrina Worley
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
        If you like to show films/videos/DVDs in class, here's an option for
        the online environment.... PBS has a good number of their programs
        available online, and more are available all the time. You can watch
        full episodes of Nova and Scientific American Frontiers. If you go to
        the Scientific American Frontiers website there are links not only to
        the programs but also to interactive activities and teacher materials.
        Some materials are aimed at younger children, but some are adaptable
        to intro courses at the college level. One of my favorite programs is
        the Nova special on the Human Genome Project. One of the nice things
        about it is that it's broken into short bits that can be viewed on
        their own, or as part of the larger program. I find that I actually
        prefer watching these programs online, since there aren't any breaks
        for advertising. Of course, it helps to have a comparatively fast
        connection.

        The URL for the entire PBS online video collection is: http://video.pbs.org/

        Scientific American Frontiers: http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html

        the Nova program on the Human Genome Project: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html

        Also check out: http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651

        Katrina

        On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

        > I'm searching for good on-line resources to direct students to for a
        > hybrid-online "Intro to Biological Anthropology" course I am
        > developing and will start teaching in September.
        >
        > I've come across a few useful sites so far. Dennis O'Neil at Palomar
        > has put together a great series of on-line tutorials for the course
        > (anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm). Chuck Smith at
        > Cabrillo has what appears to be agreat syllabus for the course on-
        > line, with many links to articles and videos on-line.
        >
        > And I'm following Kate Wong on Twitter, who provides links to some
        > articles she writes for Scientific American.
        >
        > I welcome further suggestions.
        >
        > Bob

      • Andrew Petto
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
          You might also have students link to the Becoming Human webite
          (becominghuman.org).

          It is not something you would show in class (except maybe to intro the
          site and show some navigation hints), but it is something that students
          could explore as an out-of-class assignment.

          Anj

          Katrina Worley wrote:

          > If you like to show films/videos/DVDs in class, here's an option for
          > the online environment.... PBS has a good number of their programs
          > available online, and more are available all the time. You can watch
          > full episodes of Nova and Scientific American Frontiers. If you go to
          > the Scientific American Frontiers website there are links not only to
          > the programs but also to interactive activities and teacher materials.
          > Some materials are aimed at younger children, but some are adaptable
          > to intro courses at the college level. One of my favorite programs is
          > the Nova special on the Human Genome Project. One of the nice things
          > about it is that it's broken into short bits that can be viewed on
          > their own, or as part of the larger program. I find that I actually
          > prefer watching these programs online, since there aren't any breaks
          > for advertising. Of course, it helps to have a comparatively fast
          > connection.
          >
          > The URL for the entire PBS online video collection is:
          > http://video.pbs.org/ <http://video.pbs.org/>
          >
          > Scientific American Frontiers: http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html
          > <http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html>
          >
          > the Nova program on the Human Genome Project:
          > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html
          > <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html>
          >
          > Also check out:
          > http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651
          > <http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651>
          >
          > Katrina
          >
          > On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:
          >
          > > I'm searching for good on-line resources to direct students to for a
          > > hybrid-online "Intro to Biological Anthropology" course I am
          > > developing and will start teaching in September.
          > >
          > > I've come across a few useful sites so far. Dennis O'Neil at Palomar
          > > has put together a great series of on-line tutorials for the course
          > > (anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm). Chuck Smith at
          > > Cabrillo has what appears to be agreat syllabus for the course on-
          > > line, with many links to articles and videos on-line.
          > >
          > > And I'm following Kate Wong on Twitter, who provides links to some
          > > articles she writes for Scientific American.
          > >
          > > I welcome further suggestions.
          > >
          > > Bob

          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer
          Department of Biological Sciences
          University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
          PO Box 413
          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
          414.229.6784
          fax: 414.229.3926
          ajpetto@...
          http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

          *************
          http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
            Yep- I forgot about that one. I use it in my online class every
            semester.

          • mep1mep
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
              If you choose to use any of the Walking with Cavemen bits, the BBC has a nice support site for it.  It explains the data they used to construct the vignettes.

              Pam

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
                Forgot:  have you seen the UC-Berkeley site on evolution?

                http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

                Pam

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Bob,

                  I'm finishing up my third time through with my online class. Some of the web sources I use are in the attachment. I just went through and copied them out. Let me know if any of the hyperlinks don't work. I also videotaped a minilecture on the primate skull that turned out fairly well. I am currently looking for additional web sources and and plan to do some mini-videos. This is a total online course, not a hybrid.

                  Phil

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Bob and others- Getting back to archaeology, what DVDs can be recommended for an intro course? This Fall I appear to have lined up the teaching of intro to archaeology and, needless to say, in a prison-ed setting, field trips are frowned upon. Even computer resources are discouraged. I honestly don't recall any films shown in archaeology classes way back in ancient times.
                    George Thomas

                    Re: bio anth resources
                        Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... ajpetto
                        Date: Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:38 pm ((PDT))

                    Katrina Worley wrote:

                    > If you like to show films/videos/DVDs in class, here's an option for
                    > the online environment.... PBS has a good number of their programs
                    > available online, and more are available all the time. You can watch
                    > full episodes of Nova and Scientific American Frontiers. If you go to
                    > the Scientific American Frontiers website there are links not only to
                    > the programs but also to interactive activities and teacher materials.
                    > Some materials are aimed at younger children, but some are adaptable
                    > to intro courses at the college level. One of my favorite programs is
                    > the Nova special on the Human Genome Project. One of the nice things
                    > about it is that it's broken into short bits that can be viewed on
                    > their own, or as part of the larger program. I find that I actually
                    > prefer watching these programs online, since there aren't any breaks
                    > for advertising. Of course, it helps to have a comparatively fast
                    > connection.
                    >
                    > The URL for the entire PBS online video collection is:
                    > http://video.pbs.org/ <http://video.pbs.org/>
                    >
                    > Scientific American Frontiers: http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html
                    > <http://www.pbs.org/saf/index.html>
                    >
                    > the Nova program on the Human Genome Project:
                    > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html
                    > <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html>
                    >
                    > Also check out:
                    > http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651
                    > <http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/subject/957383708/topic/957390651>
                    >
                    > Katrina
                    >
                    > On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm searching for good on-line resources to direct students to for a
                    > > hybrid-online "Intro to Biological Anthropology" course I am
                    > > developing and will start teaching in September.
                    > >
                    > > I've come across a few useful sites so far. Dennis O'Neil at Palomar
                    > > has put together a great series of on-line tutorials for the course
                    > > (anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/biological.htm). Chuck Smith at
                    > > Cabrillo has what appears to be agreat syllabus for the course on-
                    > > line, with many links to articles and videos on-line.
                    > >
                    > > And I'm following Kate Wong on Twitter, who provides links to some
                    > > articles she writes for Scientific American.
                    > >
                    > > I welcome further suggestions.
                    > >
                    > > Bob

                  • anthony balzano
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                      The entire exhibit of the Spitzer Hall of Human Origins at the American Museum of Natural History is at:

                      http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/humanorigins/

                      My intro students have benefitted from it since it opened.

                      Regards,
                      Tony Balzano

                      Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
                      Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
                      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                      Sussex County College College
                      1 College Hill
                      Newton, NJ 07461
                      973-300-2177
                    • Katrina Worley
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                        Some of the Scientific American Frontiers episodes are archaeological
                        in nature.... check out "Coming Into America" and "The Secret Canyon".
                        You watch them online, or you can buy the DVDs from PBS, and some
                        episodes are available for a couple of bucks through the iTunes store.
                        Also, there's the "Time Team America" series on PBS... There are five
                        episodes so far, including one on Range Creek Canyon (the same canyon
                        that's the subject of SAFs "the Secret Canyon"), one on Fort Raleigh/
                        Roanoak, and one on the Topper site. As with the Scientific American
                        Frontiers episodes, you can watch them online or buy the DVDs. I'm
                        waiting for the Time Team series to show up on iTunes, since I'd
                        rather pay a couple of bucks per episode than $20-25, and the iTunes
                        files or DVDs are easier to deal with in the classroom than trying to
                        watch them online. BTW- if you've used iTunes, check out what's
                        available in the iTunes store... there are episodes of a number of
                        PBS, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc., series available for a
                        couple of bucks each, so you aren't out a bunch of money buying some
                        of these things on the chance that they might have something useful.

                        Katrina

                      • Monica Bellas
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                          A couple that I show are "Excavation of the La Salle," which is a good example of historic archaeology. It's the excavation of a Spanish ship off the coast of Texas.

                          Another one, which I know is fairly controversial, but good for demonstrating how the scientific method works, is "Cannibalism in the Canyon." Turner's work on trying to test the hypothesis that Puebloan ancestors in the American SW may have practiced cannibalism.

                          Monica Bellas

                          Cerritos College

                          Norwalk, CA

                          "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting... "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"

                          To: sacc-l@yahoogroups.com

                          Date: Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:38 pm ((PDT))