Re: [SACC-L] David Brooks on community colleges

  • mep1mep
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2009
      This is all I could find on it when I was looking:
      http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Excerpts-of-the-Presidents-remarks-in-Warren-Michigan-and-fact-sheet-on-the-American-Graduation-Initiative/

      I thought Dean Dad's blog on it at Inside Higher Education was interesting:
      http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/confessions_of_a_community_college_dean/the_american_graduation_initiative_first_reactions

      And since I am off Blog hiatus and our College has been operating under some of the premises of Brooks' article for a few years now, I put up a personal rant about his column on my Blog

      Pam
      http://teachinganthropology.blogspot.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2009
        Rant alert----
        Kudos, Lloyd, for posting this hot, political football our direction. Much as one would like to subject David Brooks' arguments to witheringly objective, apolitical academic scrutiny, the columnist's tone begs for a more careless approach.
        (Read: HE STARTED IT!)
        I enjoyed Pam's "Pamthropologist" blog rant. I enjoyed it especially because, to the relatively uninitiated, David Brooks' assertion that inability to handle high tuition costs is not a major factor leading to students' dropping out of community colleges, is left unsupported by those citations and attributions which we lowly, truth-challenged, logically-wanting, "liberal" academics are forced by professional ethics etc. to use.
        I bet there are significant numbers (if not as many) students in 4-year colleges who are "academically unprepared or emotionally disengaged or [who] lack self-discipline or [to whom] bad things are happening at home" (Brooks 2009:... whatever the Op-Ed page was), as there are in lowly community colleges.  Perhaps our sources, students themselves, bias the data/info available to us: surely more students will gripe about inability to pay tuition than admit "weakness" -- that they are "academically... disengaged" or lacking discipline.
        (Admitting weakness looks bad on the future resume, after all.)
        ((And hey, my usage, "I'll bet," means I'm simply formulating an hypothesis here; NOT asserting things without citation!  Uncle Dave could add "I'll bet" to his column-writing arsenal.))
        But just because students have vested interests in the statements they make about how they're doing, college-success-wise, surely doesn't automatically disqualify lack of tuition bux as a major de-contributor to successful college careerdom. Could financial strain be behind many other factors leading to college completion failures?  Well, uh, yeah....  And no, increased financial aid probably won't alleviate all the major reasons for failure.  So does that mean finances are not an important factor in success?
        I smell political ideology here somewhere.
        Clearly, among some of the prevailing punditry, the desire to determine what's actually happening among drop-outs -- seeking "the truth" -- is a sign that we can't wrap our little minds around it (Jack Nicholson, or more properly, his writers, paraphrased).
        So, (1), we need to be careful what we wish for (accuracy), and (2) assume the posture of "self-reflection" until we realize that it's we, un-prestiged community college lightweights, who bear responsibility for the life-altering distractions and disruptive conditions happening within many less-financially-secure and otherwise somewhat marginalized families.
        Until we recognize David Brooks' truth, I guess that leaves us out of the running, right?
        George Thomas

        Re: David Brooks on community colleges
            Posted by: "mep1mep" mep1mep@... pmaack

        ------------ --------- --------- ------

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2009
          George, thank you for your brillant comments.  I posted to the blog again, in your honor.

          Pam

          ________________________________

              Posted by: "mep1mep" mep1mep@yahoo. com pmaack
              Date: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:46 pm ((PDT))

          ____________ _________ _________ __
> [...]

          the military does. You have to experiment with programs like Digital
          Bridge Academy that are tailored to individual learning styles. You
          have to track student outcomes, asthe Lumina Foundation is doing. You
          have to build in accountability measures for teachers and
          administrators.

          Maybe this proposal, too, will be captured by the interest groups. But
          its key architects, Rahm Emanuel in the White House and Representative
          George Miller, have created a program that is intelligently designed
          and boldly presented.

          It’s a reminder that the Obama administration can produce hope and
          change — when the White House is the engine of policy creation and not
          the caboose.

          Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company
          Privacy Policy Terms of Service Search Corrections RSS First Look Help

        • anthony balzano
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2009
            Thank you. This is very helpful!

            --Regards,

            Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
            Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
            Sussex County Community College
            1 College Hill
            Newton, NJ 07461
            973-300-2177